Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to speed up a 56k Modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

slr22

MIS
Jun 26, 2002
US
I was wondering if there is a way to speed up a 56k modem. Right now it is connecting at 28.8 and I was wondering if there are devices out there or anything that can speed up that connection?

Thanks.

Read this FAQ:

faq570-197 "A little knowledge is a dangerous thing....." [idea]

One way to tell if it is one your end is to disconnect your phone line at the demac (usually a grey box ourside the house) and plug the modem in there, if it is still 28.8k, the issue is not inside the house. I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Good FAQ section. If it's download speed you're after then
you might wish to try downloading EasyMTU by Rob Vonk. I can't imgine that it will affect your connection speed though, just utilise it better.

I run a conexant 56K V90, and regularly get speeds of 54667. The only time that differs is when my ISP has connecting problems. My son using my phone socket with a 10 metre extension cable to his PC and gets around 50000 also using EasyMTU.

Regards
Phil [roll1]
Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back