Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there a way to prevent cells from overlapping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airtas

Technical User
Jun 16, 2005
US
in excel 2007 is there a way to prevent a string of characters and the cell to automatically overlap into the next cell?

In Older versions you can select the cell, right click, format cell, alignment - choose "fill"

This old world keeps spinning round - It's a wonder tall trees ain't layin' down

either change the font size, align the column width or wrap the text.

Skip,
[sup][glasses]Don't let the Diatribe...
talk you to death![tongue][/sup][sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

I want it to stay hidden

for example lets says I type this

CELLA CELLB
gggggiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

how can I have the remaining IIIIIIIIIIIII stay hidden?

Hi airtas,

If you format the cell so that wordwrap is on, and type more than fits the normal cell width, Excel will ordinarily expand the row height to fit. You can re-set the cell height so that the wrapped text is hidden. Do note that, if these are spaces, periods etc in the string, this may cause the text to wrap to the next line earlier than you might want.

An alternative, without text wrapping, is simply to put a single space character in the adjoining cell.

Cheers

[MS MVP - Word]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back