Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to not make users type the domain name at logon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bnymk

Programmer
Feb 7, 2003
US
Hello all:

We have a website on the SharePoint Portal server that we are hosting. The website can be accessed by users who have account in the Active Directory. Everything works but I have one minor thing that I have to fix. Namely, is there a way to avoid the users from typing in the domain name on the logon prompt everytime when they try to access the site. I just only want them to type in their username and password, without needing to type in the domain name as well. Can this be done???

Thanks.

"Behind every great fortune there lies a great crime", Honore De Balzac

IE--Tools--options--Security--custom level--go to thr bottom--check "automatic log on with current user and password

Thanks for the response but that didn't work. Any other ideas??

"Behind every great fortune there lies a great crime", Honore De Balzac

Hello,

We have had the same issues and I solved it by doing as wzwhi suggested and also adding the sites to the Intranet Zone aswell in Internet Explorer.

Regards,
Thomas

Another option is to give all authenticated users of your portal (or a specific site) Reader rights (if you so desire). Note: This requires a Windows 2000+ domain structure.

1. Site Settings from Portal (or from a Site)
2. Manage Users
3. Add Users
4. Add 'NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users' with Reader rights.

This will add all domain authenticated users the Reader rights... allowing them reader access to your portal. For confidential sites, you can have subsites not inherit the top site's permissions and/or manually give additional readers Edit/Contributor rights where you see fit.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

David R. Longnecker

---
David R. Longnecker
Web Developer
CCNA, MCSA, Network+, A+
Management Information Services
Wichita Public Schools, USD 259

I have this same issue. Our users that use the portal aren't part of the domain, simply website visitors. They don't know the name of our domain, yet it forces them to put in "domain/user" format to login. Any way to avoid this? All suggestions regarding IE have not worked, nor do I believe that it will. The problem has to do with how SharePoint wants the users to authenticate, not IE. How can IE know what username/password to use if it even doesn't know what the domain is?

Hi,

If you want everyone to be able to access your Portal site without having to authenticate you would have to turn on anonymous access to the portal.

If you do not have anonymous access turned on the users must provide a valid user account (domnain account).

You can turn on anonymous access to for example the Home area (Top Portal) and then restrict access to other areas and subareas otherwise anyone could acess your entire portal and get the information residing there (unless that is what you want I would be very careful witht the anonymous access)

As David Posted earlier; granting read access to NT AUTHORITY\Authenticated Users that also means that only persons with a valid domain account on your network would be able to access the site.

Regards,
Thomas

Regards,
Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back