Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to make the guides come to the front?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawthorne

Technical User
Jun 18, 2010
Hi

That's my question.

Is there a way to make guides show when you place something in on top of them as they do in InDesign?

If I place anything with a boarder, or white areas along the edge, then I can't see where the edge of the image aligns with the guide.

I looked for someplace that says something like move guides to front but no luck.

Mike

Hi Hawthorne,

The quick answer to your question is that no you cant make the page guides 'come-to-the-front' as you can an object that is placed on the page.

I am not familiar with InDesign but I think that there a couple of ways to align what you are wanting to place in exactly the position that you want it.
For a temporary alignment tool that appears 'on-top' you can always use the ruler guides which you can reposition using the corner handle which is the small grey box in the top left where the two rulers intersect. Hover the mouse over this and the cursor becomes and expander which you click and hold down to move. Position over your guide line and it will stay on top and you can use this as a guide to position an object to. To move one ruler Shift and drag that ruler only.

You can create temporary 'ruler guides' by 'dragging' these off the ruler. Just mouse over the edge of the ruler and when the cursor becomes an expander drag ( by holding the mouse down ), a ruler guide to a desired position and place it as a marker. This will appear as a green line which wont be 'on top' but it does extend to the edges of the page, and I would say that most often at least part of this line will show as a reference which you can quickly drag the ruler to to check alignment. You can create as many of these as you want, both horizontal and vertical, and can get rid of these quickly by 'dragging' them off the page or all at once via the Arrange menu. ( Arrange>Ruler Guides>Clear All Ruler Guides)

Something else that you can possibly use would be the "Set-Transparent-Colour' tool. When you have a picture selected it should appear on your picture toolbar. It looks like a pencil pointing into a 'V' ( as you mouse over it it will confirm what it is of course. ) When you select this tool and click on a background colour, usually the white area around the picture, it will make that colour transparent BUT this is not perfect for all occasions as it makes all pixels that colour in the whole picture transparent so check when you use it that it does not have any unintended consequences. I must admit that the odd time I have used this tool and have had to paste and group a white filled shape behind it to colour fill the bits that I didn't want transparent particularly if you are pasting on a coloured background. Not best practice I suppose but it works if you are in a hurry.

The last option that you could look at is the 'Edit-Wrap-Points' tool. I think that it is on the picture toolbar but if not you can get this button, or any command button for that matter, by right clicking the toolbar and selecting Customize and then the Commands tab and going through the menus and 'dragging' a command onto the toolbar that you want it to appear on. The 'Edit-Wrap-Points' button is in the Arrange commands and looks like a dog surrounded by a blue border with some black dots on the border. When a picture is selected and you click this button the border of the picture will change to a red dotted line with some 'wrap points' at the corners that appear as black dots on the line. You can click on these 'wrap points' and drag them in or out as you want but most often you use them to reduce unwanted clear space around a picture, particularly if the picture is placed on a text box and you want the text to wrap around it. You can add as many other wrap points as you want simply by clicking on the line and dragging them to the desired position.

As I said, I am not familiar with InDesign but each program has its own way of doing something. Hopefully this will give you some options to be able to do what you want in Publisher.

Regards

Makonz

Hi

Thanks for the information.

There are several things about Publisher that I find a little weird, but I guess it's all about what you are used to.

I started out with Aldus PageMaker which became Adobe PageMaker, which eventually evolved into Adobe InDesign.

Through this they all kept things that were common to all of them.

Guides that you drag in from the rulers are always visible unless you ask for then to not be shown.

This is very handy when positioning one image or type on top of another image etc.

In this day and age I'm surprised that you can't import PDF files since they have become so ubiquitous.

After all Publisher will export the document as a PDF so why not import it? Virtually every program I use will open PDF files now.

Anyway I'm happy to report that my niece's project is well underway and she is learning as she goes.

I did a couple of pages for her, (I did them in InDesign and sent them to her in PDF format which she converted and pasted in) they were pages with a number of photos positioned on top of a background image with dropped shadows etc, which she was having problems with.

Everything seems to be on scheduled and looks good.

Thanks again for the help.

Mike

Hi there Hawthorne,

Thanks for the feedback.

I never worked with PageMaker or InDesign so I suppose I didn't have to 'relearn' Publishers ways of doing things. For me it was MS Word or MS Publisher and compared to trying to work with Word, Publisher is a breeze ! It's like anything I guess inasmuch as the more you work with a tool the more you get used to it. Now that I know it reasonably well I find that there is not that much that I want to do that I cant get there one way or other.

With regards to the timetable for being able to import pdfs I don't know if this feature is on the radar for Publisher. Maybe Bill can tell us !

Also good that your nieces project is progressing well.

Happy Christmas.

Regards

Makonz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back