Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to make a form dockable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aseem1234

Programmer
Nov 26, 2003
US
Can this be done? Or how would you go about creating a window yourself that can be docked?

Thanks

This will be allowed for in VFP 9. To what extent this will be allowed I am not quite sure. I mean there are really 3 types of docking in popular existance. Normal Docking, Linked Docking, and Tabbed Docking. A good explanation is provided in the VFP help file under "Docking Windows" (you have to do a search as it is not in the index under that title). Whether or not VFP 9 will allow for all 3 types, I don't know.
So what are our options now. Well the toolbar class in VFP is a good solution for the time being. It is in fact a form/window. It provides docking and can also contain a container that will allow you to place controls and such on it. Some mechanism has to be provided for resizing the container assuming that you want to allow the users to resize the toolbar (pretend form). This can come in the form of a button added to the container that when clicked or dragged will facilitate resizing. I usually make it so the toolbar can be expanded or contracted either by width or height.

There are also 3rd party products to be considered. One of the best I have found (though I haven't used it extensively with VFP) is Innovasys DockStudioXP. The demo they provide is in VB but it shows some etremely impressive functionality and if implemented right can far surpass the proposed additional docking functionality that is supposed to be in VFP 9.
It should be noted that I have no affiliation whatsoever with Innovasys.

boyd.gif

[sub]craig1442@mchsi.com[/sub][sup]
"Whom computers would destroy, they must first drive mad." - Anon​
[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back