Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to improve the running of program Compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krizalid99v2

Technical User
Sep 8, 2005
Hi all and Merry Christmas,

My specs:

Windows XP Pro
1.5GB RAM

I am running a customisable 2D fighting game program (called WinMUGEN Plus) which is quite an old program, but it does run well on Windows XP before you start customising your own 'skins' for it.

The problem is, the more content I add to it (screenpacks/skins) it will get more susceptible to crashing when I try to run the program. It's very erratic and unpredictable, as sometimes it will work and sometimes it won't work, most of the time it won't. Now it seems that it never works, unless I remove some 'skin' content from the program's graphics file.

When I double-click on the program, the error message is simply the Windows one (Send/Don't send), with this technical error info:

AppName: winmugen.exe AppVer: 0.0.0.0 ModName: winmugen.exe
ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 00099f63

The way I can get it running again is to right-click the program, choose Properties and switch the Compatibility mode to Windows 95 or Windows 98 / Windows ME. When I do that it ALWAYS runs the program, BUT it's VERY slow and jerky, just unplayable.

So I was thinking, is there any other way I can improve the running of the Program Compatibility feature? If not, then am I able to use some kind of a virtual Windows 98 emulator thing?

Any help will be most appreciated, thanks in advance.

See if this is of use to you?

Virtual PC 2007

Is there and Setup or Install .exe for this program? If so you could uninstall the program and run the Install itself in a suitable Compatibility Mode.

Does your program run any better if you use the "Run As Administrator" via a right-click on the .exe, or from an Administrator login?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back