Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to hide a user is the domino directory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmort

Technical User
Nov 8, 2005
I need to hide a user so that none of my other users can see it, anyone know how to do it, ive tried deleteing it out of the names.nsf and it deleted the user conpletely

just set the appropriate rights on the user-record.

i.e. rightclick on the user-record
properties
then click on the key-symbol

here you can define who can read (= see) this document

Although this does work, I would be wary of setting read restrictions on person documents.

If it is absolutely necessary to do so, be sure to include LocalDomainServers in the reader rights, to alleviate any issues with servers accessing the document.

Pascal.

I have tried checking the properties of a document as directed. I actually saw the list of readers but I found out that no name could be removed from teh list of readers. How can this be done? Please note that I am the administrator on the network with the full rights.

you remove a reader from the list by unchecking his name.

i.e. normally the checkbox above the list is checked "all readers". so first uncheck that.

now you can click in the list beyond, to check everyone who is allowed to read the document. you do not delete or insert somebody but set a check in front of his name by clicking on the entry.

You're not removing names, you need to add one.

Check out this FAQ for understanding how Reader and Author restrictions work in Notes : faq73-5664.

I suggest you add LocalDomainServers and LocalDomainAdmins, so that you are sure you can go back and undo your changes if necessary.

Pascal.

As instructed, I have unchecked "All readers and above" and I checked the name of the user that I did not want to see the document. After this, I closed the window and confirmed that my settings were accepted. Unfortunately, I checked with the user and he can still see the document! What can I do?

you have to check the readers that are ALLOWED to read the document, not the these who may not read it :)

Yes, that is exactly what I did; checked the users that should have access and left out the one that should not have access. But the user that is not checked, can still access it!

is it possible then, that the user who may not read the document is member of a group who is allowed to read? then he will also be allowed to do so

Its possible that he could be a member of a group. I will check that. Thank you very much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back