Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to exclude policies when other policies are running? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

EnochChum

Technical User
Jan 19, 2006
CA
Hi,

Is there any way I can stop a policy from running is another policy is running at the same time? I have an online and archive hot database oracle backup policies. When one of the policies is running, I don't want the other backup policy to run.

Thanks,
Enoch

One way is to set the "Global Attribute" max jobs per client.
However, There is another setting that can limit backup jobs on a client that can be set on the client. I can't thonk of it right now. I'll research and come back. Maybe someone else can find it before I do.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states something as certain, that does not make it a fact and that is truth.

I use backup_exit_notify on the Master Server to activiate or deactivate a Policy in this scenario. backup_exit_notify runs every time a backup completes. As an example you could have your Hot Backup Plocy set to inactive and then have the cold backup set it to active via backup_exit_notify, when the backup completes. A similar process can be used to set the Hot Backup Policy inactive when it completes.

Hey MaineDCAdmin,
That was a post worthy of a star!
Extra points for being very creative.

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states something as certain, that does not make it a fact and that is truth.

Thank Bob! I have started to do more and more with the CLI in the Korn Shell and with Windows batch files. The more I do with the CLI, makes me aware of just how powerful the environment is.

Here is a related post on the veritas forum

In that post Brendan Post gives a technote describing the method that I was thinking about in my first reply in this thread

Setting Maximum Jobs per Client on a per client basis in VERITAS NetBackup (tm)

Bob Stump

Just deactivate it!!!
Right click on the policy and then deactivate starightaway!!!

dennis Ojo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back