Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way to disable disable/enalbe Macro msgbox 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starrizzo

Technical User
Mar 22, 2004
US
I have a few macros that run in one of my spreadsheets, is there a way to add someting to the code that will make a rule to always have Macros enabled and not have that pop up show at the opening of a document?

->, is there a way to add someting to the code that will make a rule to always have Macros enabled and not have that pop up show at the opening of a document?

Do you mean the message that asks if you want to enable macros? That's a security feature. And it wouldn't be much of a security feature if you could disable it via code.

There are a couple of ways around this.

First, each end user could go to Tools > Macro > Security and change the setting to low. This would always allow macros to run without being asked. [!]This is a bad idea[/!] because malicious code could be launched.

The best way to proceed, if you really don't want folks to have to press the "enable" button, is to digitally sign your macro. You can find out more about this by looking for add digital signature to macro in Excel's Help File.

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

Truth in Advertising!!

Anotherhiggins: I recently gave someone the same advice, similarly worded, and had it bounce back on me. Some folks seem to be unable to think even inside the box; this jerk's response (cleaned up some) was, "It does SO pop up that !@$#% question you big dummy!!", so ...

Starrizzo: Be advised that the very first time that a user opens a document containing a signed macro from you they will indeed be presented with a choice as to whether or not they want to trust macros that you have digitally signed. If they say "Always trust macros from Starrizzo" they'll never see another message about ANY macro you have digitally signed. One time only, then no more.

[thumbsup2]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A committee is a life form with six or more legs and no brain." -- L. Long

Nice catch on the caveat, WalkerEvans. Thanks!

[tt]_____
[blue]-John[/blue][/tt]
[tab][red]The plural of anecdote is not data[/red]

Help us help you. Please read FAQ 181-2886 before posting.

John,

No problem! We need to watch out for each other to be sure that none of us end up with our tails under that rocker. Been there, and my tail still hurts.

[thumbsup2]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A committee is a life form with six or more legs and no brain." -- L. Long

John,

I was going to post a question about the exact same thing. I am glad the search gave the answer I was looking for.

I noticed there is no star beside your name, so I thought I should put one there.

Thanks.

Member- AAAA Association Against Acronym Abusers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back