Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a way of allowing users to run specific smit menus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theramster

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
GB
Hi All,

I am trying to allow operators to run certain smit menus and use the entries in ssaraid just to view and not change anything. I need them to be able to check RAID arrays settings using the menu options under smit ssaraid. I think this is possible using the smitacl.user and smitacl.group. Could someone please help.

Cheers

The ssaraid tools require root privilege, so you'd need to either modify the smit objects in the ODM (bad idea), or set up your own smit ODM elsewhere and use the OBJREPOS variable to have smit look there. You would pretty much have to use sudo, because you'll need to restrict the operators to running ssaraid commands only with certain flags, as it's pretty likely that some of what you want to expose is handled by commands that can also do modifications. Information on setting up your own smit menus is available in Chapter 25 of General Programming Concepts: Writing and Debugging Programs.

A simpler approach would be to figure out what exact commands they need have, either by checking F6 in smit or examining smit.script after running the commands, then use sudo to grant access to those precise commands.

Rod Knowlton
IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Hi RodKnowiton,

Thanks for your response I will chjeckout sudo and the smit menus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back