Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a utility to list shared open files? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

smiom

Technical User
Sep 13, 2004
We have a visual foxpro database and it is backed up every night. Recently we have had an intermittent run of backup problems because a user has left the database open on their workstation overnight. We have about 50 users and we can't see which user or users are doing it.

Is there a utility we can take a snapshot list of shared open files at a specific time each day (ie. just before the backup begins) so that we can discover if it is the same user each time or various users? Several users have remote access using Citrix, so we can't just check the building at the end of the day for workstations left logged on.

Any helpful advice will be appreciated.

How about the "net share" command? You could make a batch file to call this & write the results to a file. Something along the lines of:
Code:
net share > shares.txt

Let us know your results!

X

The NET SHARE command will not do what you require.

Try the NET FILE command instead.

If you are the last one out of the building you could use Computer Management console to check the "Open files" under "system tools">>>"shared Folders"> to see who has what files still open as well as the ability to disconnect the user from them file if necessary.

George
MCSA +Messaging (Win2k) A+, Net +

Thanks for your advice.

We have just tried the Net Share command but it doesn't appear to show if the files are open (in use). We'll have a look at Net File.

I am not normally last out of the building. Some users are here for hours after I leave. The backup starts at 1.00am, so a list of open shared files at 12.55am would be ideal.

Ste

Thanks for correcting me, Sunny4Ever... thats why I usually don't start responding until the caffeine kicks in :)

The NET FILE command worked a treat.
Thanks for all your help.

Ste

Just to complete the thread I would include the following to close all open files from the command prompt:

for /f "skip=4 tokens=1" %a in ('net files') do net files %a /close

Also check out freeware tool psfile.exe from sysinternals:

Which is pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back