Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a tool to see where an account has logged in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rickytran

Technical User
Dec 23, 2002
US
User accounts are been locked out because of password changed are common with my day-to-day task. Some of these users are server admins in our group, where they do alot of logging into different machines/servers. Is there a tool out there that will tell you where a user has loggedwith a still active session? It seems to be highly unusual if a tool of such great importance has not bee created...

Anyone?

Try this, Right-Click My Computer and go to Manage.

When you are in click Action and select Connect to another Computer. Down at the bottom where it says Name type in your Domain Name.

Next expand and go to Shared Folders. You will see Sessions. Here you should be able to see everyone on your domain that is logged on and what computer they are logged onto. If they are IP Addresses, use the NSLOOKUP tool in the CMD PROMPT.

for Example if one of your Server Admins are logged on to there machine and also logged onto ComputerA and it states the IP Address of ComputerA,

Type:

NSLOOKUP IPAdress

Good Luck
Narineh

When you are using Computer Management and trying to connect to another computer... you can only connect to computer in a domain but not the domain. Is there a way to know what workstations/servers that they are still logging in. Is there a way to know if their accounts are being logged in or if a service is running with their credentials?

Thank you,
Richard

Yes you can connect to a domain. When you go to the connect to another computer screen name is down below. Enter your domain name there, for example microsoft.com

Whatever your DNS Domain name is. It worked cause I tested it and was able to see me logged on to multiple computers. It will tell you which computer an account is logged onto.

To narineh (MIS):
When I type our domain name there, it says "cannot find xxx, please check your spelling.." ,I dont know it is because I am in NT 4 domain(i use win2k pro)?

Sorry to say that I just feel what your mention should not work

To narineh,

How effective is this if there are 8K-10K users logging into the domain on a normal busy day? I could do it at night, but there are probably still 1K plus users whom did not log off of their computer.

THank you,
Richard

Dear RickyTan (LOL thats from Rush Hour)

I am not sure on how effective it is, since we only have about 15+ people in our office. However it should work, and I don't think it will bring your network down...Also obviously you can't use this tool if you don't know what your administrators usernames are...Which I doubt is true. So if you know there usernames just sort it by name. You can click the User Column to sort by name and flow through the list. 8k-10k is alot of people so good luck. But this should be able to accomplish what you need although, as long as you know what your looking for sorting it will make you do this fast... And you are also able to close sessions from here.

To Signup,

Are you typing in your domain name with the dot com in it? I am not sure if you can use it as I don't think Windows NT 4.0 uses the new DNS Naming Convention that windows 2000 supports. Windows 2000 new DNS Name Convention is like microsoft.com which is the domain name, as oppose to MICROSOFT. So you won't be able to do this unless your in Native Mode, unless someone knows NT 4.0 better then me, I don't have any NT 4.0 machines in the office to check, but there still might be a way to do it, as I remember there is a Sessions somewhere in Control Panel under a Catergory.

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back