Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is There a String for modem sound? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

bilko

Technical User
Nov 26, 2000
GB
I have an Ambient Ham Modem.The correct drivers are installed.When I connect to the net the dialling sound is very,very,faint.The volume control in system/properties makes no difference either way.Is there a string I can add in system /connection/advanced to sort this out.I already have the string AT&F there already.This increased the speed to 115 from 48.If you have any advice, could you be very specific[i`m a bit thick]ie. does the string go after the AT&F etc. Perhaps you could type it out-as an example-so I wouldn`t put in the wrong command.Thanx in advance

First, putting in AT&F simply resets the modem to factory spec, and you're getting the DTE speed, not DCE (port speed, modem to computer, not modem to modem), thus 115,200 which is impossible for a 56000 modem.
Second, init strings are specific to the chipset you have on your modem, and we need to know that first.
Is it a Rockwell/Conexant, Cirrus Logic/Ambient, USR/3com/Texas Instruments, ESS, PCTel, Lucent, or...?
Check out my modems page and post your ATi3 response here. I'll (or someone) will dig up an init string for you. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Thanx Jim for replying.I checked the AT13 response--which is
MD5628D-L-A couldn`t find a match at your modem page
Bilko

It's got a Cirrus Logic chipset, and it's probably in one of those K-Mart machines X-:
Anyhow, the complete command set is here: BOOKMARK THAT PAGE!
Your modem commands are:
L0M1 (L zero M one) for no volume.
Set it to L1M1 for quiet, L2M1 for medium vol, and L3M1 for loud.
Put those in the extra settings box, and DO NOT put AT in front. Cheers,
Jim
reboot@pcmech.com
Moderator at Staff at Windows 9x/ME instructor.
Jim's Modems:

Thanx Jim. Followed your advice and now i can hear the darned thing
Bilko :)

Comtech:

I have an Ambient Ham modem, it´s good but i have to try many times to enter the internet and some friens say it´s because my drivers are old. the drivers have this date: 14/02/2000. It´s that true?

Hi I have a 3Com PC card modem model 3CCM156b. and i just can't get the modem to make any sound when dialling!!! I've tried all the L's and M's but still nothing..anyone help? Thanks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back