Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a Primary Domain Controller in my win2000 domain? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jay9333

IS-IT--Management
Dec 5, 2003
US
I have two domain controllers in my windows 2000 Active Directory domain which was set up before I started working for my current employer. I'm retiring one of them. I was previously told it is the "main" domain controller? What does that mean? Is there a "primary domain controller" in windows 2000? What do I need to check before I demote this server? I've already built another domain controller so now I have 3 running... so basically I'm just trying to figure out the best way to demote this (supposedly) "main" domain controller.

thanks for any help you can provide,

jason

You need to check who are the Operations Masters for the RID, PDC and Infrastructure as well as the Global Catalogue.

Active Directory Users & Computers, right click the Domain and select Operations Masters. There will only be one server for each role, change as necessary.

Active Directory Sites & Services, find your site (sites?) or the Default-First-Site-Name if you haven't changed it. Find the server(s) and then the NTDS Settings, click properties and see who is a Global Catalogue Server. You can have multiple Global Catalogue Servers, but at least one...

HTH

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back