Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a maximum VB module size?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gordonl

Programmer
Mar 15, 2001
GB
All of a sudden I cannot create an exe file for my visual basic program. All that happens is that it hangs.

I have found that when it hangs - if I End Task the C2.exe program in Task Manager, then VB recovers but I get an error message in a log file saying something about Linker problems.

It also leaves an .OBJ file each time.

I can compile it and run it (Shift and F5) within the IDE, but it fails to compile, as I have said, when i want a stand alone exe?

I can still create exe's for all the other prgrams that I have written, which use the same components and references, so it cannot be my copy of visual basic being corrupt.

I was wondering if there was a limit to a size of a module - like 64K would make sense, as when I copy the data to a txt file it is around that size?

I have tried taking out huge chunks of code and did eventually get it to create an exe - however, I then put a whole lot of code back in and it still compiled to exe OK??

The program just has one form with 4 buttons. One of the buttons has code that is very long - which makes me wonder about the size.

If size is the case, could I compile from the command prompt to overcome this? If so, how do I do this?

i dont think there is a size problem -- i have some pretty big code modules. there could be a number of other reasons, one being a error in the module you're compiling. also, have you upgraded to the newest service pack? i found that for my laptop, i need sp3, but i dont need sp3 for my desktop, both of which run win xp pro. go fig...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back