Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a login in feature for SharePoint 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielh68

Technical User
Jul 31, 2001
US
Hi,

I have installed a SharePoint website onto our server. My employer wants its users to login in. I have found (under site administration) where you can create new users and assign them various permission. However, what I need is the userlogin to appear as soon as the URL is entered. Can this be done via SharePoint?

Thanks,
Dan

Sharepoint by default uses NTLM so it will not prompt you for a username and password once authenticated. You can use the Directory Security option in Internet Service Manager to use clear text with SSL if you really want to have it pop up this should be suffecient.

Thanks amoisant. Sorry about the delayed response. Nonetheless, the problem is solved.

Now, I have a new one. I can't seem to get the search to work. I always get "No records found" I went to Microsoft Sharepoint and looked under their trouble shooting section and didn't find much. I did create a new catalog, but it didn't help.

Is it just me, or is there just not enough literature on Sharepoint? We installed it on our server and my boss is real gung-ho about it, but as far a researching or troubleshooting...well, the stuff is just hard to find. Do you know of any resources.

Thanks,
Daniel

I agree with you that there aren't much info about sharepoint portal server.
There are a lot of sites and forums but folks just arent' talking much.
It is either there are no real knowledge about sharepoint out there or not many people like to share info.
There are few good sites to go to. They are real helpful.
One is group@google.com and then search for sharepoint portal server forum. It takes between 3 to 9 hours before your thread is posted to the site but once that happens, you will get answers.
You can also go to sharepointserver.com, sharepointcode.com, sharepointtips.com, spsfaq.com.
There is one real good one but I can't remember the name right now because my system crashed and everything I had bookmarked was gone.
I will post that tomorrow from my office.
About your search not returning anything, are the documents you are searching for published?
You can search for them until they are published.
Any way I am as new as you are.

Thanks,samosa.

Sorry it took me so long to respond. For some reason, I didn't notified of a thread update. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions and the site recommendations.

--Dan

daniel -
I am also trying to add an initial logon for users when they reach Portal Server workspace. Since authentication uses NTLM are internal users automatically authenticated using there credentials - and external users are forced into loggin in? That would be fine if thats the case - however in testing I'm unable to test external accounts.

Also -
How would I go about providing this to many users - I don't want to have to create a new workspace per user - or even per group if I can avoid it. And even if I created a workspace per corperate group - would each new user that logged in be able to check there personal mail etc - does that automatically load using NTLM credentials?

I view the theory behind workspace and dashboards as the new way to provide users w/ access to several apps at once - I just can't understand how they will access this in the configuration that Sharepoint provides.

I'm planning link off our intranet a link per group and provide the same dashboard for each user w/ in a specific group - Any one else have suggestions - or things they found work better?

d.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back