Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a free-to-use website for trial run of web API consumption ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rajesh Karunakaran

Programmer
Sep 29, 2016
MU
Dear Team!

I have to write VFP code to consume a web service API (json for both request and response). Is there a free-to-use website out there offering any sample web service API (preferably accepting request with json data and with json response).

At present, I don't have the complete details of the API I am supposed to consume. What I want now is some way of testing the code if I write a API request POST and to check the response from the API.

Just to make it clearer. It's not about writing an API. I have to write code to consume an API.

Am I thinking in the right direction?

Thanks in advance
Rajesh

Maybe the site has a testing platform for you to test?

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

Dear Gagnon,

Yes, they have it seems. But they have not provided even the API yet. It may take a few days.
But, I thought I would prepare the basic routines before hand. That means, by the time they provide
the details, I would have the code which may require, I believe, only minor tweaking to specifically
support their API.

Rajesh

Don't think you can prepare that much. APIs I had to use all had their specific hurdles.

Prepare yourself by learning, for example, West Wind Web Connection, it even includes a tutorial for implementing your own simple API and how to use it. The major ingredients of it are class libraries handling the topics of HTTP and JSON, your main ingredients anyway. If you pick that, it won't even be helpful to learn some basic concepts using CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP.6.0") to learn HTTP basics, Web Connection has simpler handling, see
If you start learning something like the Firebase API you'll never be sure that API works by the same structure.

Doug Henning forked the VFPTweetAPI I once wrote to use Twitter from VFP, that has a lot of reusable base code, but mainly used XML and I'm not even sure it'll still work, Twitter has changed a lot.

Bye, Olaf.

Olaf Doschke Software Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back