Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a free software to convert .dbf to .sql tables ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janak vyas

Technical User
Jun 3, 2020
IN
I wanted to convert the .dbf in MySQL Workbench.
Is there a way to convert the .dbf directly on the MySQL workbench ? or is there a free software for the conversion ?

You don't need a tool to do this. You can simply copy the DBF data to a CSV file, which MySQL can then import natively.

Note that the data is stored in MySQL, not MySQL Workbench. The Workbench is a development environment, not a database.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

How does that deal with memos?

Regards

Griff
Keep [Smile]ing

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who don't.

I'm trying to cut down on the use of shrieks (exclamation marks), I'm told they are !good for you.

In that case, you can do as I suggested.

But there are other options. One alternative would be to download a MySQL ODBC driver, which would enable VFP to read and write directly from and to MySQL tables. But be aware that, whatever solution you adopt, it won't be completely seamless. The chances are that there will be issues with data types, NULL support and the like. That applies to all database conversions, and is not specific to MySQL.

Mike

Visual FoxPro articles, tips and downloads

Theres the VFP upsizing wizard. I'd use the VFPX version of it:

It's mainly intention is to move from DBF to SQL Server, but it could be adapted to MySQL, if it's not already an option.
Or you use it as is to create a SQL Server database and then go to MySQL from there.

Chriss

Select the table DBF...

Connect to mysql..

Use the copy structure extend to ... use the .dbf table structure and create your commands to create the fields ( name, type ..) field_type,
field_name,field_len...
Use mysql information_schema to check if the table already exists..
Check if there are indexes and primary keys in the dbf, if there is, send an update in the table structure in mysql. Then read the records from your table and insert them into mysql.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back