Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is there a DBA Setting that turns off SQL Plus "echo" Command

Status
Not open for further replies.

gsdcrazy

Programmer
Sep 2, 2002
US
I am running a file in SQL Plus and can only get the "feedback" (how many rows updated or whatever). Can the DBA's turn off the "set echo on" command? The code I am running is:

set linesize 80
set pagesize 0
set echo on
set feedback on
set termout on
set heading on
set verify on

spool /home/walterg5/BetaFlows/data/BackupCOLI_Tables.txt

UPDATE portfolio_dm_owner.jctl_cycle_date
SET curr_cycle_date = '01-MAY-2012';

spool off

My results are:

1 row updated.

To get the "set echo on" command to display the SQL code on the screen during execution, you must run the code from a SQL*Plus script file. For example:
Code:
SQL> @TEMP

SYSDATE
---------------
18-APR-12

1 row selected.

SQL> SET ECHO ON
SQL> @TEMP
SQL> select sysdate from dual;

SYSDATE
---------------
18-APR-12

1 row selected.
Let us know if you have follow-up questions.

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
“People may forget what you say, but they will never forget how you made them feel.

Thanks for the response. I apologize for not being more specific in the request. I am running from a SQL*Plus script file, but am not running interactively. I was running a batch command from an UNIX script:

{
echo "${UID}"
echo "@/home/walterg5/BetaFlows/data/NDWBTACPOSQL.sql "
} | sqlplus -s >> $HOME/log/NDWBTACPOSQL.sqlout 2>&1

The documentation I have listed the "-s" command as only suppressing the listing of the Username/Password. While writing this response, I decided to try the batch run without the "-s". I got what I needed and can not find anywhere where the Username/Password was displayed. The log does have a line for the Username/Password, but the value is blank, so this does give me what I want.

Again, thanks for your response. Sorry I did not provide the right details in the original request.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back