Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is there a 32 bit compiler for clipper summer 87

Status
Not open for further replies.

emucode

Programmer
Jul 29, 2002
US
I'm useing blinker now to compiler my summer 87 clipper program and was wondering if there is any 32bit compiler for this program. I'm told that windows 7 will not run 16 bit programs, is there a way to make windows 7 run these programs.

Clipper programs will run (reasonably fine) on Windows 7, but only on the x86 (32 bit) variety. Windows x64 (any version, XP, 2003 server, Vista or 7) will not run 16 bit programs.

If you want better performance and real 32 or 64 bit compiled programs (and not constantly hogging the CPU), then have a look at Harbour ( or xHarbour ( / Both .org versions are open source, and the latter comes with optional commercial support and additional libraries, like direct SQL support using (Clipper 5-style) RDD's.
While these compilers are both aimed at Clipper 5.2/5.3, most Clipper S'87 programs should compile with minor adjustments.

There are also other commercial offerings, but I have never used them, they aim more at new application development offering windowing libraries and IDE's, but I've dropped new development in Clipper. New stuff (or rebuilding old stuff) should be done in new environments like Java and C#, IMHO.

HTH

I use Harbour extensively to compile summer '87 code. As Ton Hu points out some modifications will be required, but if the summer '87 program is well written the conversion is quite straightforward, and the resulting executable, though much larger than the '87 equivalent runs MUCH faster, behaves better under current Windows versions (no cpu hogging) and gives long file name support, better error reporting and a lot of other enhancements.

I also run summer '87 programs on 64 bit Win 7, but only in virtual XP mode, which works well and enables you to create a shortcut on the Win 7 desktop which automatically invokes the 16 bit XP client to run the app very seamlessly. However this is only available on Win 7 Pro or above and requires a processor which supports hardware virtualization and lots of memory.

Ton Hu pointed me at Harbour years ago and I have never regretted it. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it is worth it.

Jock

Thanks for the great information!

I'm using blinker 7 now to compile my programs, I looked at the Harbour site, which compiler do I need to use and what changes do I need to make. Is there any information that I can read to show me how to make the conversion?

thnaks again

You should hook up to the xHarbour group at google groups over here and join the Harbour-project mail circle (search their site plz).

You won't be needing Blinker 7 any more, but the linker that comes with the C compiler you're applying to the (x)Harbour install, which can range from gcc (linux/OSS), through Borland Commandline C compiler (free), MS Visual C++ 2008, MinGW, and then some...

Effectively the harbour compilers convert prg to intermediate C using a (large) library containing all functionality, that gets compiled & linked using the configured C-compiler, roughly the same as the runtime P-Code compiler & interpreter of Clipper do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back