Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is the owner of the database I'm using being unreasonably picky 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tapew0rm

Technical User
Jan 25, 2002
US
I'm no DBA for sure so before I decide that the DBA is indeed being a bully I want to know if you find his very frequently repeated requests unreasonable.

"Please limit to one sql query analyzer open at a time if possible. And close out when you leave at night."

I'm linking to his server through Query Analyzer, I'm not running over one job/query/procedure ect. at a time. I don't understand how having the query analyzer on my computer open with more than 1 window effects his database. It helps having a few windows open when your a hack cut and paste coder like me.

Also is it a good idea for him to run database shrink daily and defrag once a year (sarcastic question).

"Please limit to one sql query analyzer open at a time if possible. And close out when you leave at night."

Sounds like an Uncle Rico, trying to control whatever he can.

Why not just ask the users to please not log into any apps using the database during business hours either?

What an utterly ridiculous request!

I don't do any programming whatsoever

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

If it had been Uncle Rico, wouldn't it have been:

PLEASE LIMIT TO ONE SQL QUERY ANALYZER OPEN AT A TIME IF POSSIBLE. AND CLOSE OUT WHEN YOU LEAVE AT NIGHT.

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

Maybe more like:

PLEASE LIMIT TO ONE SQL QUERY ANALYZER OPEN AT A TIME IF POSSIBLE, AND UNLESS YOU ARE ONLY WORKING WITH ONE RECORD AT A TIME PLEASE USE A CURSOR. AND CLOSE OUT WHEN YOU LEAVE AT NIGHT.

I don't do any programming whatsoever

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Ask the DBA to prove the resource usage of idle sessions. How many CPU cycles do they take and how much memory do they take, just sitting there? And how many developers are there doing this?

He will have a difficult time showing that multiple Query Analyzer sessions cause any kind of performance problem. Extra user connections x number of users can = bad stuff. But one developer with a few extra windows? Come on!

We have over 75 SQL Servers here. Some of our databases have hundreds of direct user connections. The DBAs never complain that I have 5 or 6 connections to a database open at once. Why would they? How silly.

[COLOR=black #d0d0d0]When I walk, I sometimes bump into things. I am closing my eyes so that the room will be empty.[/color]

Cough! Sputter!

Ask the DBA to prove...

Translation: Dear God - why... [!]ZAP! [/!][small] ouch[/small]

< M!ke >
Your right to an opinion does not obligate me to take you seriously.
- Winston Churchill

Explain please :)

[COLOR=black #d0d0d0]When I walk, I sometimes bump into things. I am closing my eyes so that the room will be empty.[/color]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back