Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is the mobo shot? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2005
Hi guy's i have a friend that was using his computer saturday, and then since it was raining there was a surge in power and his computer has died since then. After the surge the computer would not post, it does not even go into bios, it just gives long beeps (intermitten) and that's it. He did have it plugged in to a surge protector but it seems it didn't do it's job.

The motherboard is a MERCURY k0b 845 nfsx 1.0 it uses pc 133/100. I have already removed the video card and optical devices and tried to run it just on bare minimums but it still wont post. At first i thought it was the ram but then, i had one piece of ram that was also pc 133 and the samething happens, already reset the bios (removed battery and drained it)

guy's im really stumped have any of you any ideas they would really be appreciated.

or do you guys think this time he took out the mobo, or cpu?

thanks in advance

Luis

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

you forgot the power supply. try a different power supply

One person in this thread had a similar problem that was sorted by replacing the bios battery with a new one.

Aside from that if you could post the sequence of the beep code that might be helpful.

"Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy"
Albert Einstein

thanks guy's

yeah you are right i had forgotten the power supply,

now i took the computer to a shop a friend of mine has and switched the ram, all was fine. Then i put the old ram and it started to beep again. ok then we cleaned the ram and sanded off a little of the brass and it worked. then a few minutes later it would not work, so we figured it to be a ram issue.

i had it working fine then when i tkae it back to the shop connect it to the ups and it started to beep again so i shut it off and try to turn on WOULD NOT TURN ON IT JUST SEEMED LIKE IT WOULD NOT GIVE ANY POWER AT ALL. NOW I THINK IT COULD BE BOTH THE RAM AND POWER SUPPLY.

any advice guys, once again thanks.

luis

Some people make things happen, some people watch things happen, while others wonder what happened.

I suspect that there are blown capacitors on the mb. Check it out. I have seen boards do some goofy things with one slightly blown caps.

-David
2006 Microsoft Most Valueable Professional (MVP)
2006 Dell Certified System Professional (CSP)

i took the power supply to get it repaired since they don't have any atx2 power supplies here, and now on the power supply the 20 pin connector and 4 pin connector works (i tried it on my computer) but the motherboard will still not recieve any power or it just doesn't turn on.

So i tookit back to the repair men and asked him to make sure that the atx2 connector works since before the power supply went out i could start up the computer with a pc100 128 ram without a problem. so i will also check tomorrow to see what they say ( he also suggested the motherboard, but it worked the last time i checked and unfortunately i cannot get a new power supply to check)

the motherboard is a MERCURY K0B 845 NFSX
THE POWER SUPPLY AN ATX2 120WATTS.
256 PC133 RAM

any suggestions guys will realy be appreciated.

thanks for everything

Luis

actually it's a atx12v power supply,

sorry for the mix up

Luis

I had the same thing.
Power supply blew up on power surge, took out mother board and CPU. Oh I wish I had surge protection.

cupid11213
You don't really say much about the rest of your setup apart from that it is an Intel socket 478 platform.
One thing is for sure: if your information is correct? and your power supply is truely only 120watts your system is woefully under powered.
A typical 120watt PSU's would be from a much earlier era of computing ie: Circa first pentium class 60/100mhz early AMD K6 series perhaps.
Bare in mind many P4's above the 2.4mhz range would be consuming 60/80watts just on there own so typically require 300watts or above to run properly.
Martin

We like members to GIVE and not just TAKE.
Participate and help others.

I would see also if the surge protector company has warranties. You can get a new PSU from tigerdirect pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back