Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is the BDE used? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dillinger

Programmer
May 30, 2001
US
I have a small Delphi app that uses TQuery, TdbChart & TDataBase components all through an ODBC connection to an SQL db.

My Question is:

Do i need to set up the BDE when i deploy this app?
I think not as all communications will be going through the ODBC.
Can anyone confirm this or tell me if i need to have the BDE as well?

Thanx.

I believe the BDE is used isolate the components you mentioned (TQuery, etc. ) from the underlying native database access methods. I know ODBC does the same thing, but there are still native calls to ODBC that TQuery is unaware of. The BDE knows how to talk to ODBC, and therefore must still be used.

BabyMaker - does the fact that the application uses TQuery components (and the like) mean that the compiled executable requires the BDE installed ?
Is the only way around this to replace use of such data components with their equivalent ADO components (connection + queries) ??
Thanks
Steve

Steve - In my documentation (Delphi 3) ,it states that TQuery is a decendent of TDBDataSet which encapsulates the BDE to operate. So in this case, the BDE would be required. I have heard of, but have not tried other data access methods that do not use the BDE. These engines would derive their components from the TDataSet which is not tied to the BDE.
I would think its a simple matter of writing a module that handles all the methods and properties, using native DB calls to the database of choice. But while this could be fun and beneficial, is not a project I would take on lightly.
I guess I'm just lazy. Would love to try the new Delphi version with DBExpress components.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back