Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is SSA storage fully compatible with HACMP 5.4? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

wpdavids

IS-IT--Management
Jan 31, 2001
US
I am building a practice cluster with two 44p-170 workstations. So far I have the cluster configured and working well on a private network. The next thing I would like to do is add storage. I am looking for a cheap storage solution that is fully compatible with HACMP. I am looking to purchase a SSA 7133-D40 storage draw with 2 6230 Controllers. The storage will be shared and I will install 1 - 6230 SSA controller in each workstation.

Would this storage configuration be fully compatible with HACMP?

I would expect C-SPOC ,lazy-update, and fall over to work with this configuration.

Thanks,
Bill

Sounds fine to me.

The ibm storage web site for SSA says (at the bottom of the page):
Note: AIX 5.3 and above is not supported.

but this is rubbish as the 5.3 filesets are included with AIX and updates are available from the AIX fix central web site:

And on a 44p-170 you won't be going to AIX 6.1 - where SSA is not supported.

It looks like SSA is compatible with HACMP, but does it also support:

1. enhanced concurrent volume groups (with active and passive varyonvg of shared VGs)

2. disk heart beat

3. creating shared VGs, LVs and FSs with C-SPOC (dynamically)

What SSA model or what type of storage unit will support all these features?

As far as I know, SSA supports concurrent VGs, fast disk take-over, disk heartbeat and C-SPOC.

I called IBM and opened a PMR.

SSA-160 controller or what they call an Advanced Serial Raid adapter ID 4-P is fully compatible with HACMP.
All the features you mentioned will work with HACMP 5.4 and AIX 5.3 running the 64bit kernel.

FC ID Name BUS MAX/loop Name
6225 4-P Advanced SerialRAID Adapter PCI 2 (R-5) 8 (R-0) Santa Cruz
6230 4-P Advanced SerialRAID Plus Adapter PCI 2 (R-5) 8 (R-0) Santa Cruz
6215 4-N SSA Enhanced RAID Adapter PCI 4 (R-5) 8 (R-0) Campbell2 (not fully compatible.)

SSA technology is not compatible with AIX 6.1 neither are the 44p-170 workstations.

khalidaaa please explain (your slightly off topic reply):

"One thing i know about SSA is that it can't run with POWER5 Machines"

If this is true why are they listed in the p5 PCI adapter placement guide:

IBM System p5® and eServer™ p5 PCI and PCI-X adapters

Feature/ CCIN Description Adapter characteristics Linux support Other information

6230/4-P Advanced Serial RAID Plus Adapter Long, 32 to 64-bit, 3.3V or 5V N High bandwidth

And the IBM hardware Pre-req site:
for Power 5 shows the following supported models:

Search results Feature code Model Machine type Feature Description
6230 510, 51A, 520, 550, 505, 561, 570, 575, 590, 595, 52A, 55A 9110, 9111, 9113, 9115, 9116, 9117, 9118, 9119, 9131, 9133 Advanced SerialRAID Plus Adapter

huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back