Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is SQL the right choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyT

Programmer
Nov 15, 2000
US
I have been maintaining a database consisting of two main tables and several small ones using FoxPro for about 12 years. Now the owner thinks we are becoming antiquated and wants to switch to a "sexy" system. Is SQL the right way to go or would you use something else if you had to learn a whole new system anyway.

how big is it, how many users, how big are the queries etc.

Access is a lot easier and a lot cheaper unless its a huge thing with lots of users.

Also you can talk users through fixing things on the phone, wouldnt try that with sql! Peter Meachem
peter@accuflight.com

I wouldn't choose SQL Server just to be more cutting edge. I'd ask several key questions in making a decision.

1- How big is the database? What kind of growth do we expect? Will the proposed solution handle the size and growth?
2- How many users access the database? How many do so concurrently? Does the proposed solution improve accessibility?
3- Is my current solution reliable? Is it available when needed? Is security sufficient? Will the proposed solution improve reliability, availability and security?
4- How easily can I backup and restore data? Will the proposed solution improve on my current process?
5- How is current performance? Will another database provide greater performance?
6- Will we be creating more databases in the future that we can put in the new database system?
7- Can I justify the cost of upgrading?

Frankly, one database and a handful of tables wouldn't seem to justify SQL Server nor any of the other Server based database engines. I'd only recommend it if you needed a real performance boost.

However, SQL Server is a compelling choice for many reasons - low cost in its category, very reliable, excellent security model, high availability, excellent data protection, relatively easy to use, easier to administer than many similar products, etc.
Terry

Yes it is. John Fill
1c.bmp

ivfmd@mail.md

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back