Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is SCCS a complete change control tool? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanjim70

MIS
Oct 11, 2000
US
Hi, I can't even spell AIX. I am a change management analyst and need to some info on how integrate our CCCHARVEST on NT with AIX. We currently use PERL for Distributions. Can we integrate this with SCCS?
Is there any place I can find some intro documentation? Thanks in advance for the stupid questions, just do not know a thing about UNIX.
[sig][/sig]

Hi there,

The short answer to your question is: Yes, you can integrate whatever you have with SCCS.

A more interesting question is this: Should you do so?

SCCS is not a change management tool; it's a set of utilities that could be used to build a change managent tool.

This has been done of course, and more than once or twice at that, but it's not a trivial task.

If you are primarily a UNIX shop (and it looks like you're not) then rolling your own Version Control and Change Management system *might* be a reasonable option -- but it *would* be a sizable investment in something that could almost certainly be bettered by an off-the-shelf package. [sig][/sig]

Thanks for the advise.
It really clarified for me what SCCS is.

Does anyone have anything about off the self products I can look into or run a search on?

This place is great, Fast reponse.
Hey Mike, I'll send a vote for you. [sig][/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back