Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is "Porting" SQL Ok in a pinch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

irt

Technical User
Nov 11, 2001
US
Hello,

I need to generate an unmatched query in Access 2000, and did not have the wizard installed at work. When I tried to access (no pun intended) the wizard and followed instructions to insert my Access 2000 CD ROM I found to my dismay that the drive wasn't working at all. Since I have Access 97 at home, I thought I might generate the query
there, print out the SQL for it, and simply key it in at work. Are there any flaws in my plan? Perhaps one question immediately coming to mind is that when I read the SQL for the query in Access 97, the term "LEFT JOIN" instead of "INNER JOIN" is used, the latter being the way it's "phrased" in Access 2000 SQL. Will I have to re-type
"LEFT JOIN" as "INNER JOIN"? If that's the only problem, it should all be just gravy. Any information I could get about this I'd really appreciate.

Thank you.

What you are doing is fine if you understand the SQL, INNER and LEFT joins are both legal terms but you need to know where to use them. I would suggest if you don't have a clue (because it's a rather lengthy explanation) to wait until the wizard is in place and do it that way. If you can't wait, try it each way and see what your results are.

Many Access developers don't use the wizards and graphical display at all preferring to "key" in the select statements. This is simply a preference most of the time, but there are SOME things you can do keying it in that you can't do via the QBE interface. So there is nothing flawed with your plan.

HTH Joe Miller
joe.miller@flotech.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back