Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is "online degree" on your resume a plus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudskipper

Technical User
May 29, 2002
US
You may have answered this type of quesion before, but a few keyword searches came up with nothing. If there are any threads elsewhere, please feel free to refer me to them.

In order to expand my knowledge and open up more career choices, I would like to (finally) get my 2 year degree. As I live in the boonies (no decent college within 100 miles, I have been debating on-line courses. Currently, I hold a wonderful IT position, and therefore would not like to relocate in order to pursue school! I am extrememly afraid, however, that this will actually hurt my chances of getting hired somewhere (as opposed to aquiring my degree elsewhere)....

Do you find that WHERE a degree is aquired plays a factor in "judging" a resume? I mean, if you read "BS in Computer Technology from University of Phoenix", does it leave a bad taste?

If I planned to reside in this area for my remaining years, I would not even think twice about it, but aspirations dictate that I should be prepare to be hirable elsewhere!!

Thanks for all of your input. I am also curious--anybody out there who already has an online degree find that they were "knocked" for it? Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

IMHO, a degree from a non-accredidated school is at best, one step above a certificate, neither of which compare to a 4 year degree from an accredidated university. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Well, I agree there. In certain cases (such as the University of Phoenix), it is accredited. I suppose that they do actually have a "location" as well, but I would elect for the on-line only....

The only draw for me is simply convenience.... Mudskipper
___________________________________________________________________________________

Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this! Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

I guess, it can't hurt. I can't see where anyone would hold it against you. So the net effect would either be zero or positive. Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

To be honest, most employers are not going to hunt down a college an applicant went to. If you put University of Phoenix, I am sure that 9 out of 10 or higher would believe it is a local university in Phoenix. In Wichita, Kansas there is Friends University a 4-year institution offering graduate degrees or Edgewood College in Madison, Wisconsin which offers a PhD in Educational Leadership.

There are hundreds of colleges that nobody would ever know about, unless they spend the time to look it up, they may never know it was on-line.

I prefer a traditional education and believe that it would offer a student more, but I understand your situation and glad you at least have initiative to further your education.

Of course it will help!!

But again, for everything on your resume, there are some who will grab that and decide you're the one--or grab it and say "no".

I say good luck--but like AIXSPadmin, I'd lean towards a more traditional path if it was available.

YMMV.
JTB
Solutions Architect
MCSE-NT4, MCP+I, MCP-W2K, CCNA, CCDA,
CTE, MCIWD, i-Net+, Network+
(MCSA, MCSE-W2K, MCIWA, SCSA, SCNA in progress)

Thank you for the replies. I, too, would prefer to have a classroom setting. In my opinion, I would be able to get more out of the instruction--and it would help to focus on the tasks at hand (as opposed to having so many distractions at home). In fact, I had been ignoring this option for a while now, as I am (was?) so biased against on-line classes. I guess that becuase I tend to think less of getting a degree in this manner, potential employers would too.

Ah, the silly things that the voices in my head tell me.... ;-) Mudskipper
-----------------
Groucho said it best- "A four year-old child could understand this!
Quick! Run out and find me a four year-old child: I can't make heads nor tails out of this!"

Ironic, from AIXSPadmin - To be honest, most employers are not going to hunt down a college an applicant went to - is quite a true statement. The ironic part is that because of the US-wide advertising being done by U of Phoenix, most people now know that it is an on-line school and don't have to hunt it down to "assume" its inferior status.

Please, I am not saying that U of Phoenix is inferior, but rather that it is "perceived by most people" as inferior because its an on-line school, and is thought more of as a commercial venture rather than an accrediated educational institution.

I think the reaction will run the gamut. Some will be impressed, thinking that its a full 4-year degree. Others will blow it off because they've heard of UofPh and don't lend it any credence, and yes, some will downgrade you because they will assume that you're taking the easy way out, "buying" the degree rather than earning it.

Personally, since U of P is accredited, then I will view it as a positive attribute, but I would not expect everyone the feel the same. Good Luck
--------------

Aslo, UofPh is expensive when compared to going to a community college for your first 2 years and then a 4 year college for the last two. The first 2 years are anywhere from 2 to 4 times more expensive as a local comminuty college (example: UofPh: $420+ credit/hour for first 4 years. Community Col of Philly: $~100 credit/hour for 2 years and then Temple University : $~350 credit/hour for last 2 years.

The benefits of UofPh are: ability to do it at home, one class at a time instead of 3 or 4, and the possibility of completing your 4 year degree in 2 to 3 years because of the class structure.

There are also "regular" colleges and universities that offer online classes.

Honestly though, someone who has the self-discipline to complete and do well in an online-degree program shouldn't be looked down upon.

I take classes online part-time through a university. They're not too bad. I think they would be much harder if I did not already work in the field, so you might be in the same situation.

I have hired many programmers. In my experience employers are not looking so much at certifications or degrees nearly as much as experience and how you can help them.

Sure - the certification / degree says that you have seen the knowledge but my question was ALWAYS 'How did you apply that knowledge in a real world example in your last job (and how would you use it for us - trick question since at that point they have no clue what we are REALLY doing)'

Sure - the Microsoft tract 'sounds' good, but I have yet to meet an MCS?? (pick) that can stack up to someone with experienced professionals --- some of which are more or less self taught programming professionals.

nuts & bolts - I would never look down on ANY degree or certification from anywhere, BUT if you can not apply it to the job you want or the job you have --- it means nothing.

my two cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back