Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is Proxy and ISA Server the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zawyenaung

IS-IT--Management
Apr 14, 2008
MM
hi all,

now my system running on the microsoft environment. i wnat to know is Proxy and ISA Server the same?

thanks

Yes and No. First off Proxy means on behalf of.

So a proxy server is sort of a go between for your client PC's and the Internet. It does service requests on behalf of the clients. Once the server go's to for example a web page it can then cache that page so the next user will get the cached copy of the web page off the proxy server rather than the server re retrieving it.
ISA is capable of being both a proxy server and Firewall etc.
Then there is Linux which would use something like Squid proxy , and probably a million others which will take too long to list. Even though you running a Windows environment Linux is still an option, especially since winbind.
e.g.I am running all Windows Servers with Exchange a Linux proxy and Firewall and Send Mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back