Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

'is not a switching port' error message? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

shunsing

MIS
Jan 23, 2003
US
I have a 6509 with the following blades;

slot1: 24 port SFP
slot2: 48 port RJ45
slot3: 48 port RJ45
slot4: 24 port 100FX-MMF
slot5: Sup720
slot6: Sup720
rest are empty...

Two power 3000 watt power supplies that are combined in redundant mode because the power we currently have is 120V vs. 240V...

Here is my question, when I try to configure any of the interfaces on any of the above blades, I'm getting 'interface blah, blah, blah, is not a switching port'. Any idea what this could be??? I've never seen this before and have not had any luck with online searches...

Thanks for your help!!!

I assume you are trying to assign a port to a VLAN with the command 'switchport access vlan x'. If thats the case you need to first make the port a Layer-2 port with the command 'switchport' - as opposed to 'no switchport' if you want the port to be a routed interface.

Port on a 6500 come up as routed ports by default. As ADB100 said, you need to enter the "switchport" command to make them layer two switched interfaces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back