Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is my vMCD 4.2 using compression???

Status
Not open for further replies.

danramirez

Programmer
Oct 25, 2009
ES
Hi guys,

I recently installed vMCD for testing in our office, server complies with RAM, CPU, HD requirements.

I established IP Trunking (MiNet) from my vMCD to a CXi Controller (4.2) in another location. IP link goes through a dedicated path of 256 Kbps (Frame Relay).

Note the quality of voice is CRISTAL CLEAR, EXCELLENT!! We have made 3 calls simultaniously and none of them get degraded.

While programming the ARS routes on both controllers I selected COMPRESSION, However our vMCD does NOT have Compression licenses.

Questions:

Is my vMCD compressing calls to g.729 without the license?

How do I make sure a call is being compressed? Is there a way to sniff a call and look for the compression codec being used?

Thanks guys, Regards,

Daniel

Calls will compress from the two furthest endpoints capable of compression, So if you call from an IP phone(Capable of compression) to another IP phone the whole call will be compressed.
if you made a call from an IP phone across the IP trunks to the other controller and out the ISDN then the furthest end points would be the phone and the 3300, however the 3300 can only compress if it has a license and a DSP module. So if you have this then the call would compress otherwise it would not.
As said in above answer the call quality logs will show you if compression is being used or not.

Dont forget even though you have an IP trunk between the systems the endpoints will stream direct to each other and only call control will go to the systems.

Use the help files in the 3300, search for compression there are some drawings in there to help understand how it works.

boycey,

Thanks for that complete answer.

Now, and based on that understanding, What would be the need to have Compression Licenses on an ISS or vMCD Server? Note that "54000650 3300 ICP: 8 Compression licenses" is a part number for the vMCD Optional Licenses. Taken from Table 1.4 vMCD and ISS Eng. Guidelines.

The vMCD will never be an endpoint, so why would it need compression licenses? IP Sets registered on that controller are 5340s and 5304s, all capables of compression.

Regards,

Daniel

Agree,you need DSP for compression other then the standard set to set compression so don't see why compression licensing would be shown against a vMCD or ISS for that matter. Neither have a DSP Hmmm.

The single biggest problem with communications is the illusion that it has taken place.

I'll ask Mitel to see what they say about adding compression licenses to vMCD,

Thank you guys

We are going through a problem where our MOH (Music on hold) isn't making it back out our trunks due to the lack of G.729 codec (Compression). I have a rather large thread going on this exact issue. We use AT&T as our SIP providor and for the most part everything works, except MOH. So now we are going to have to pay $5k just to make MOH work through AT&T SIP. Thanks AT&T!

I still have yet to figure out why my auto-attendant works, but MOH doesn't. Also if I call you and put you on hold it works as well. It is when callers call in, and I put them on hold AT&T router denies the traffic (MOH).

Nice right...My thread is:
Best Regards,

Trent Greenawalt
IT Manager
Milwaukee, WI

vMCD, ISS or MiCD will use use compression licenses for the use of media resources. By default MOH, embedded conferencing and other media will use G.711, for these to use G.729 codec compression licenses are required.

TrentGreenawalt, If you put compression channels on your MCD boxes, this should enable the use of G.729 backout over the SIP Trunks.

There is no 'I' in 'Team'

So why can the caller hear my auto-attendant and VM messages (outbound)? If it is in fact G.711.

Best Regards,

Trent Greenawalt
IT Manager
Milwaukee, WI

Mitel100 has it correct. There are no physical DSPs obviously with MCD-ISS, vMCD or MiCD, however the functionality is still there, it's just all software based.

Trent, you can't hear it most likely because the call wasn't negotiated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back