Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my motherboard bad..... 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foodstamp

Technical User
Jul 30, 2000
US
Well yesterday i was typing on my other computer when i started hitting a key it would put up some other character. ex. I hit "A" and it would put up a "/".. Today the darn thing would not even recongize it at all at first even before i went to windows. Once i got to windows it recongized it for a minute or two still with the weird key problems then it would cut out and I would have to reboot again. i cant even get into bios. I tried 2 other keyboads and they wouldnt even work. Only the one originally on it works. I suspect my Motherboad had it but its not that old I checked for viruses and theres nothing.
Heres my setup
1 gig Thunderbird
Abit Kt7-Raid
128mb Ram
GF2 Ultra vid card

Are you unplugging and plugging the keyboards in while the system is running? You should not do this for the keyboard connector (PS/2) Has both a power and ground that needs to be connected at the same time. Constant plugging and unplugging (EVEN A COUPLE OF TIMES!!) can cause the Motherboard to fry, at least the keyboard connector anyway. The maouse is the same way (PS/2).

Let me know. James Collins
Computer Hardware Engineer
A+, MCP

email: butchrecon@skyenet.net

try switching the mouse and the keyboard. be sure its off when u switch them. on reboot they may both work.

you might also clear nvram in the bios if your bios will, also called reset configuration data.

i sure hope its not fried. let us know.

X-)

Hi thanks for your reply's.
I didn't unplug the keyboard or anything else before the incident so I guess we can rule that out. I did try switching the mouse and keyboard (while turned off) and I got a long boot which ended up with a black screen with a blinking cursor..?I still cannont get into my bios the keyboard is still not taking. Does anyone know how this could happen though from just regular use? It happend while i was using it and then suddenly for no apparent reason it happened? Im expecting this as a sign im on the computer too much and my wife is more than happy I cant get on it. I appreciate your reply's and thanks again.

normal use encompasses many many things

if 98 or me, scanreg/restore to a date before it went bad
if no go
reinstall op sys over itself

if no go, try again for the bios as above
if no go

.....im out of bullets

B-)

try booting w/o a keyboard...reset the bios, should tell you how in your MB manual, usually move a jumper and turn on the comp.
Weird you cant get into the bios, maybe try putting a different memory chip in there, i've seen computers not get to the bios if the ram went bad...thats funny about your wife...keep us updated(about the computer, not your wife)
:)

Hi,
Alright, again thanks for everyone's help. I tried to scanreg but the keyboard wouldnt work so I couldn't do that. I tried to get into the bios to reset configuration data and I did get into bios but keyboard died as soon as I got into it and I haven't been able to get back in since. As last resort I did reset the bios via the jumper and now on startup Im getting a "CMOS checksum error-Defaults Loaded" which should be right anyways to reload everthing to default; only problem with that is the keyboard still is dead lol so I can't get into bios to change everything back to normal. So its locked while detecting all the drives with that error showing and the activity light is stuck on red. So I guess thats all I can do or is there anything left in the arsenal before I put up the white flag?

Now is the time for a new M/B. Keyboard interfaces go out. Not often, but often enough. Try to match what you have so you don't have to replace anything else. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

sorry to say, but i think edfair is right, hopefully its under warranty...i'm still laughing at your white flag comment

Well I did get into bios today long enough to fix my settings and I can get into windows again but with limited keyboard access. I can at least surf the internet just cant type anything with my keyboard. Ive been using the on screen keyboard to type. Hope this will last long enough till I get a new motherboard hopefully this weekend. Thanks for everyones help.

I was thinking that all the way through this post that this sounds like a virus hehe...then i read the message above ... on another note, people often have the misconception that because hardware is new that it is not 'faulty'...I would imagine that new hardware is more likely to fail due to being 'untested' whereas old reliable hardware usually fails at the end of a long busy life (much like most of us)...

Hi food,
It sounds like time for a new m/b but first try unplugging the ps2 mouse and cold boot. I recently worked on an Acer that worked fine with k/b only but "keyboard failure" error when plugged ps2 mouse in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back