Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is my hard drive a used one? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

ajax288

Technical User
Jul 15, 2001
CA
Hi All,

I opened my girlsfriend's computer and case to get her hard drive she bought in a computer kit a year ago. I noticed that on the hard drive which is a Maxtor 20gig 7200 there's a small sticker with the following:

Tested and Serviced
to MAXTOR Specifications
***(some bar code)****
Model 52049H3DELL D1
15Feb2001

There's also a big Maxtor sticker with the following at the bottom:

Manuf:02OCT2000
War.End:JAN04

The store sold her this drive as a brand new one which has never been used even for testing.

The question is:

Is this a used one which broke down somewhere in the past before she bought the computer.
Got repaired and sealed again and sold as a new one by the store? I think so because i've had other Maxtor drives and i've never seen the tested and serviced sticker.

thanks for your help

Probable warrenty refurb out of the Maxtor factory.
As long as the warranty is honored you are OK. But this is a Maxtor warranty.
Stores get these a lot at the end of a production run. They quit making them and start furnishing rebuilts.
I've seen it several times with Maxtor. Ed Fair
unixstuff@juno.com
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

As good as new! if not better, coming out of the factory they probably have been tested more thoroughly than a all new unit.
These units are completely rebuilt with all new parts bar the chassis which is refinished as new.
The fact that it is sold with a full 3 years warranty tells you that maxtor themselves recognise the unit as new!
Having said all of this the retailer probably should have mentioned the fact.

Martin

Thanks for the answer, I didn't know it was a common thing with Maxtor. But refurbished product aren't suppose to be sold as used ones or sold for less? I've seen such offers on many sites. Maybe Maxtor treats refurbished drives as brand new ones who knows?

Why don't you bring the issue up with the store where your girlfriend purchased the computer, you might be able to get something out of it.

In CA they have to state whether its new, refurbished, returned, open item, etc. I would think this would be the case in most states.

My personal opinion is that new is better, however certain companies will ensure that the refurbished item is just as good or better than new, the fact that Maxtor will honor the warranty for 4 years is good news.

Stores that sell refurbished items usually sell it at a discount. Bring it up with the store manager, maybe they will give you credit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back