Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my graphics card up to the job?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam577

Technical User
Sep 2, 2003
GB
Hi,

I need to upgrade my software (to Adobe InDesign CS5 from CS3) and am now looking into the options. Adobe has recommended a 1024x768 display (1280x800 recommended) with 16-bit video card.

Having looked at the system information of my graphics card on my laptop, I see it is an NVIDIA graphics card (version 83.13), but don't know what the following means.

Graphics card information
Processor: Quadro NVS 110M
Video BIOS: 5.72.22.21.FC
IRQ: 16
Bus: PCI Express x16
Memory: 256MB (64MB dedicated)
ForceWare version: 83.13
TV encoder type: NVIDIA Integrated

I don't know much about graphics cards so was wondering if the above is 16-bit (1280x800 display is available), and if it would be adequate to run a package such as Adobe CS5, or would I need to get/install a new one (if that's possible)?

Many thanks,
Sam

Agreed you should be fine with the current card.

Th Easiest way to to check this, is just go to the Display Settings and look at that resolutions you have available. I'm sure one of them is 1280 x 800.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Behind the Web, Tips and Tricks for Web Development.

Well the required resolutions, according to Adobe recommendation stated, is very basic, pretty much every piece of hardware for the last 7 years has easily met 16bit 1024 X 768.
If I'm being realistic tho.....most laptops will find CS5 an effort...but not necessarily in the display, more in the actual processing of the image files themselves.
To get the best out of CS5 you need a fast multicore processor and lots of ram. Thats not to say CS5 won't function on a laptop, it's just I couldn't be doing with that many cups of tea's ..waiting, get it..
Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Thanks Martin. You're absolutely right. The laptop could run CS5 but very slowly. I have work to get through so I would go mad.

I've taken the decision to buy a desktop instead. I've finally managed to spec it out, but wanted to check if the graphics card, 1GB Nvidia® GeForce® GTX 460 Graphics Card, supports extended worktop, and if the follwoing spec would do a good job of running CS5? There are so many variables (for instance, is it worth paying £90 more for the video card below or just get the 1GB ATI Radeo HD 5770 for £90 less; does it make much of a difference getting Windows 7 Premium rather than Ultimate, and are the RAM and processor good matches with my needs, i.e. primarily InDesign CS5 and fairly intensive graphics use).

Intel® Core™ i7 Processor 880 (3.06GHz, 8MB)
8192MB (4x2GB) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
1GB Nvidia® GeForce® GTX 460 Graphics Card
1TB Serial ATA (7200RPM) Hard Drive
Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64bit- English
20”W HD MONITOR

Many thanks for any help with this,
Sam

The GeForce GTX460 is aimed more at the gaming market. I would suggest going for the Quadro FX580 at a minimum or the FX1800 if the budget can stretch that far.

Regards: Terry

Win7 Ultimate does have some advantages over HomePremium, but not really those that most people would notice. One thing that Pro/Ultimate have is the built-in Remote Desktop support, working out of the box (you just have to click a check box or two to enable). And THAT makes the Pro/Ultimate worth it to me. Then, if you wanted to, you could use your laptop in another room, and remotely control your new desktop. Whether that'll work for you or not depends on your situation.

I know I've used Remote Desktop for audio editing, mainly. Soemtimes it works fine, but I've had times it drove me batty - somehow the audio qualities suffering over the network. But when it works good, it works great.

My brother does a log with graphics - for high-end video games at his job, and does some work at home as well. He's used the remote desktop function for rendering purposes in applications such as 3D Max.

I agree with tf1. The GTX 460 excels at DirectX processing for gaming but not so much in OpenGL workstation-level graphics. Go with a Quadro card. The FX 580's are good for the price. The next level up would probably be the Quadro 2000 which is replacing the FX 1800. It's 1GB GDDR5 memory is faster, plus it costs about the same.

~cdogg
"All generalizations are false, including this one." - Mark Twain
[tab][navy]For posting policies, click [/navy]here.

Both statements above are spot on...a work station orientated grafix card is always going to be better than a gaming card for this type of application. That is not to say a gaming card won't work or won't give you full functionality.
The GTX 460 1gig is a very powerful grafix card indeed and although not optimized for CS5 (as far as I am aware) should function well.
Infact the 3D generating power of this Nvidia card would certainly be overkill in most areas of it's performance and the cheaper ATI card would do just as well but make sure the open GL support is there (you would need to research the card and it's abilities)
Maybe I'm a cheapskate but the much lower production volume of a workstation class graphics card means they cost much more than there gaming card equivelent (often the cards are very similar indeed but run a different bios optimization)

Martin

On wings like angels whispers sweet
my heart it feels a broken beat
Touched soul and hurt lay wounded deep
Brown eyes are lost afar and sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back