Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is my computer dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMAN3021

Programmer
Aug 20, 2002
CA
You guys are probably going to laugh at me for this one, but here it goes.

I recently installed a new HD in my computer because the old one was starting to be defective. Unfortunately, when I did this, one of my wires got stuck in my CPU fan's heat sink, blocking the fan and making it burn out.

I let my computer run for a while, I didnt notice anything wrong. Sometimes it locked-up, and I started getting power setting messages when I re-booted, but thought nothing of it.

Then my computer started to reboot itself, and I decided that this was not a good sign. That is when I found that my CPU cooling fan was dead (when your bios says that CPU temp is at 104 degrees Celcius, you sorta get the hint.)

So I got a new fan installed, but my windows would not boot. If got a safe mode screen or if I didnt, when I was about to enter windows, the computer reset itself.

So I reformated, fdisked, reformated, and tried to reinstall windows. Every time I enter the windows install, I get an error message such as "Windows has created a illegal operation with user.exe" and etc.

Please help, Its hard to live without a computer!

You may still be having heat issues. Make sure the fan is on correctly, you may even want to try some heat sink compound.

When something like this occurs I usually get out a really bright flash light and examine the motherboard (while the computer is powered down!) for little burn marks. If you find any then you need to replace it. Also check to make sure all the wires are firmly in place and have no damage. Then check your cards for burns and make sure they are seated properly. finally, if you feel comfortable, pop the fan off the cpu and pop the cpu out. Examine it for damage, as well as checking the socket.

Then you can try loading windows with just the essentials installed like the video card, hard disk, cpu and mother board. See how far you get. If you can install windows, then try adding one card at a time to see where the culprate might be.

These are just some of the things that may help.

When you fdisked the drive did you completely wipe out the partitions?

Troy Williams E.I.T.
fenris@hotmail.com

I checked the CPU Temperature after the installing the new fan. It was around 40 degrees celcius, thats normal, right?

Also, when I fdisked, I completely deleted the partition and recreated a new one. Usualy when I reinstall windows, I always fdisk like that, delete any existing partitions and create a new one.

I'll check the whole computer tonight and check for burn marks.

I would try another CPU, because yours is probably damaged. If money is tight, you can get any old CPU as long as it is compatible with the mobd; or borrow one.

I would also try swapping the cpu with a known good one.

Also, since your MB supports monitoring cpu temp you should be able to install a windows utility that will monitor the temp and give an alarm if it is out of spec. You may also be able to monitor fan status. I can watch both cpu temp and fan rpm's on my Asus MB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back