Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Microsoft in a war against Torrent clients ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pmonett

Programmer
Sep 5, 2002
FR
Having had to reinstall my Windows recently, I am now in the process of reinstalling my usual applications. One of those apps is a Bittorrent client. I generally choose µTorrent.
So I went to the official site to download the installer. When I ran it, MS Defender popped up saying it had blocked a trojan : Win32/Vigorf.A
A bit miffed, I went to Bittorrent's site and downloaded that installer. Same popup.
I then hunted around for other torrent clients and hit upon Deluge. Same result.
I really doubt that three different official torrent sites have all been hacked to install the exact same trojan without them noticing anything.
So what's going on ? Is Windows 1 0 just throwing a wobbly here, or is there actually something afoot ?

I've got nothing to hide, and I demand that you justify what right you have to ask.

It is just a general protection thing. Just go to the bitdefender app, look under online threat prevention or safe files (add trusted app).

In the Windows 3.1 days, a lot of Norton utilities were blocked by antivirus scanners. This is nothing new - it is just a pattern recognition problem. It is like servers banning webstites from expertsexchange, scunthorpe and penistone. I sometimes get programs created in Visual Studio blocked by bit defender.

The client may be flagged not because it includes that malware, but that its use is a common delivery method for that malware. Malware may be developed to utilize installed torrent clients to spread from the computer.

peemoney, you really need to upgrade your Windows 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back