Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Microsoft contacted every time I use CDOSYS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

asmforever

Programmer
May 26, 2003
US
I have just switched from using CDONTS to CDOSYS. I used parts of examples from different forums but couldn't find an answer to my question from previous posts.

Question? When you include lines in your code such as
"does this mean that each time you use CDOSYS to send an email that the web server has to go outside to this site and get information, if so can I use something different to keep this from happening. Second? Could someone explain what is going on when this line of code is processed, in my script there are three other lines similar to this one and all reference schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/....

Using this on IIS 5.0 server as vb .asp script.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You have a very valid question and I share your concerns, I would really appreciate someone explaining this to me as well. Surely there must be some way (better) to send mail using ASP and IIS that does not have to contact schemas.microsoft.com every time a message is sent!

Thank you.

That is an interesting question. I can't test for it right now because the server on my network with a packet sniffer can't be connected to the network right now, but I'll be sure to test this when I can reconnect it.

At a guess I would say that those referenced schemas are likely downloaded only if they aren't already located in a cache locally on the server. I doubt that MS would want to have them downloaded from scratch each time because of the extra time it would cost both for the mail component and the extra load on the server that was holdin those schemas for download.

A solution to bypass the call to MS (if it is occurring) would be to download some copies locally nd place them on your own webserver, then use tat local address instead. My guess is the schema addresses are likely used as keys of some sort for a cache of schemas locally, but I could be incorrect.

-T

[sub]01000111 01101111 01110100 00100000 01000011 01101111 01100110 01100110 01100101 01100101 00111111[/sub]
Need an expensive ASP developer in the North Carolina area? Feel free to let me know.

crud i cant remember what this is, ... there was some update/patch that changed something, i read up on it a while ago and there is a faq on it somewhere i'll dig around and see what i can find.. this issue rears it's ugly head most often with windows explorer, when opening my computer schemas.microsoft.com is attempted to be contacted.. and sorry i cant rememebr what it is, but perhaps it might give you some ground to at least search for the reason, i believe i might have found some of the information on firewall software forums about schemas.microsoft.com and asking the same question of why is it trying to access it every time i open my computer.

hope the info helps.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert

Hi guys

Why not just use the constants and include the following META tags (see below). That way you don't have to contact schemas.microsoft.com

Code:
<!--METADATA TYPE="typelib" UUID="CD000000-8B95-11D1-82DB-00C04FB1625D" NAME="CDO for Windows 2000 Library" -->

This will be the CDO Configuration
Code:
'CDO Configuration
set objConfig = CreateObject("CDO.Configuration")
set objFields = objConfig.Fields 
set objMessage = CreateObject("CDO.Message")

with objFields
 .Item(cdoSendUsingMethod) = cdoSendUsingPort
 .Item(cdoSMTPServerPort) = 25
 .Item(cdoSMTPServer) = "smtp.server.net"  'smtp server
 .Item(cdoSMTPAuthenticate) = cdoBasic
 .Item(cdoSendUserName) = "username"
 .Item(cdoSendPassword) = "password"
 .Update
end with

with objMessage
 .From = "address@mail.com"
 .To = "address@mail.com"
 .Subject = "Subject"
 .TextBody = "This is the message"
 .Send()
end with

set objMessage = nothing
set objConfig = nothing
set objFields = nothing

also happens with ctrl.verisign.net or something of that nature, it has to do with root certificate settings.

[thumbsup2]DreX
aKa - Robert
if all else fails, light it on fire and do the happy dance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back