Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is Lync 2013 ready for prime time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajuntank

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2003
US
I am not so far gone on my 2010 deployment that I can easily move to 2013. So my question is, is Lync 2013 ready for "prime-time"? I know there for a while, the mobility part was not and did not know if they have added that in yet.

Mobility was added in CU1, which was recently released. Also, today, more of the 2013 mobile clients were released.

Is it ready? Yes. There are some nice features added in 2013 that make it worth the move. Microsoft recently released more planning and deployment tools to make things easier.

Do you have your Tek-Tips.com Swag? I've got mine!

Stop by the new Tek-Tips group at LinkedIn.

cajuntank,

Since your deployment is new, i would just go with Lync server 2013. Also, what's your userbase count?
Lync 2013 has a lot of great features including DR failover functionality.

In my case, we are already running Lync server 2010 and we have over 3000 users. For us, it's best to wait until all the bugs are fixed by early adopters.

2010 has some DR features in it as well. 2013 is much better in that aspect. We've done deployments up to 90k seats. Users love 2013, especially when teamed with Exchange 2013 for Unified Contact Store, HD photos, etc.

Persistent Chat is really catching on as well.

58sniper,
Are you guys running into any major bugs with Lync Server 2013 ? we are at 2010 and very afraid to 2013 prior to SP1 release.

No such thing as SP1. There are no service packs with Lync 2013. Or Lync 2010.

Like Exchange, there are a lot of moving parts with Lync. It takes proper planning and research.

Lots of compelling features to make the move from 2010 to 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back