Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is LCD Broken?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bobbybrady456

Technical User
Oct 26, 2013
US
The monitor looks fine if I'm only using it with a battery, do you still think it's the lcd? The computer has no problems at all if I'm only using the battery and the adapter is not plugged in. Once I plug in the adapter the screen starts to fade.

nope, sounds like a motherboard issue, a weird one for sure.

Is it possible to test the AC adapter to see if it's putting out the rated (correct) voltage? It could be a bad adapter or (as said) the motherboard "leaking" power when the adapter is connected.

Never really heard of this one before though.

"Living tomorrow is everyone's sorrow.
Modern man's daydreams have turned into nightmares.

How does it function when connected to an external monitor? Does the outputted video remain on both battery and AC power? What happens if you try to only run on AC power without the battery on both external and internal LCD?

Learning - A never ending quest for knowledge usually attained by being thrown in a situation and told to fix it NOW.

I will try it with an external monitor and report back. Thanks.

The voltage is fine. Can someone tell me how to test with another monitor?

Plug the monitor in to the laptop, and there should be a key combo that enables the port. Fn + F7 on my Lenovo, have to look at the keys to figure it out. It will toggle between 3 modes, LCD, LCD+External monitor,and just external monitor.

On most HP/Compaq laptops, it's FN + F4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back