Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is L3 Router needed w/ L3 Switch (Vlans)

Status
Not open for further replies.

devdevil85

Technical User
Feb 11, 2008
US
Is a Layer 3 Router necessary in a network that has a Layer 3 Switch?

I ask this question because I am setting up a network configuration that currently has includes a:

Layer 3 Kentrox Router
Layer 3 3560
Nuvox Box
2 PC's (PC #1 = VLAN1 & PC #2 = VLAN10)

They are setup like this:

PC 1&2 --> L2 port on 3560 --> LAN interface Kentrox --> WAN interface Kentrox --> Nuvox Box

I am trying to internalize All traffic to the 3560 and to basically/essentially Only use the Kentrox for traffic needing outside the network (Internet).

I bought a L3 Switch for something, right? Why not utilize its strengths and take the load off of the Kentrox.

I understand that using the Kentrox as the L3 Device for routing between Vlans and everything else would be easier, but I just wanted to see if I could essentially:

A) use the 3560 as basically a L2 Switch and L3 Router all in one box and not depend on the Kentrox for anything other than getting to the net. I mean that's what you buy one of these for, right?

or

B) eliminate the Kentrox from the picture all-together

If anyone knows the procedural method/or what I need to implementing a 3560 to basically take over Layer 3, I would greatly appreciate it.

just switchport access vlan (number) and ip routing for intervlan routing on the 3560. I would ditch the Kentrox and get a good router and firewall, like a Cisco at the edge and an ASA box protecting the network. You should never rely on a layer 3 switch to do your routing at the edge of a network...that's just asking for trouble.

Burt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back