Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is key code unique to disk or file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DTracy

Programmer
Feb 20, 2002
US
I've been wondering about this question for some time, is the key code for a Windows install disk unique to the disk or to a program file on the disk?

In the past I have sold some of my own software on a disk that was protected by a serial number key. It took a great deal of time to configure a single disk for sale and I wondered how a company as large as MicroSoft could sell millions of disks that used these key codes. It seems as though they would spend more time trying to protect their product than it took to produce it! But if the key code was tied to the disk itself then the disks could be made in advance then loaded with the most current version of software in considerably less time.

Thanks for the answers,
David.

The key code is not tied to the disk in a unique way. However, there are several generic "flavors" of XP disks, and they require a unique "flavor" of key to permit activation.

For example, the key used by Dell and other large manufacturers to preinstall XP is unique to the XP image used at manufacturing. (It is not the same as the COA key on the side of the case).

The COA key on the side of a Dell Computer will activate the Restoration image of XP that should be included with the system.

If you went out and bought a retail license of XP, the COA key on the side of the case would not work. Similarly, if you went out a bought at retail an "OEM" license of XP, the COA key on the side of the case would not work; and neither would a retail key you might happen to find.

There are several other "flavors" of COA keys. But there are millions of identical images in distribution.

Does that mean that each disk will still only accept one key? With bulk license several installations can be made with one disk/key and activated through MicroSoft. And single user license is one per customer. But either way it still sounds like one key per disk, right?

Oh, then is it regional, like keys for cars or padlocks? A set number of key codes just spread out over the world in different locations so they don't overlap?

David.

Disk that work with one key:

. An OEM SLP image

Disks that will work with many keys:

. All other XP images

Q: Is it regional?

No, but localized language versions have attributes in their keys to identify and match localized language versions of the XP image. To the extent that the bulk of sales for localized language versions obviously occur in regions where that language is the default, it is regionalized to that extent.

Q: Do they overlap?

There are 25 characters in the keys. They no longer use 0, O, or B, so you would have to calculate the combinations possible for a set of 33 characters yielding 25 character long keys.

Not only are the odds good that they keys will not overlap, but Microsoft has a database of issued keys to ensure that it does not happen.

Thanks guys, the information is appreciated.

Linney, your cited article implied that there are several master keys for XP that are tested for during activation and that MicroSoft considers any use of those keys to be pirated software. Are those corporate keys, or do you know?

Bcastner, I was thinking about the release of Vista and the amount of time required to program individual key codes for each CD sold. Have you ever seen the CD replication process for MicroSoft or have knowledge of how this is done?

Guys, I'm not trying to break codes or steal anything, it's the idea of processing that many individual disks that has me fascinated, after the ordeal I went through just doing a few.

Thanks,
David.

Bcastner, I was thinking about the release of Vista and the amount of time required to program individual key codes for each CD sold. Have you ever seen the CD replication process for MicroSoft or have knowledge of how this is done?

Please read what I wrote earlier. Microsoft does not encode individual keys in their images. I tried as hard as I could to make this point clear to you.

The only thing that determines the qualifying key is the setupp.ini file, which does not specify a specific key but a specific class of keys:

Ok! I think I get it! MicroSoft is not as concerned about the initial install being individual, because you still have to pass activation where the big database is involved--right? I understand the voting thing, that's very interesting. Then there's the customer interaction with MicroSoft and how to explain the duplicate install.

MicroSoft is not as concerned about the initial install being individual, because you still have to pass activation where the big database is involved--right?"

Right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back