Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it the modem or could it be the phone line??Help needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurgan013

Vendor
Jul 20, 2001
US
We have recently provided one of our customers with a new Dell Dimension 2100 that has a Conexant HCF V90 56k modem. Before shipping the machine to the customer I tested the functionality of the machine to include the modem. Everything worked fine. When the machine got to the customers location, supposedly the modem would not work on their "dedicated" Internet phone line. They receive no dial tone errors when trying to connect. So I had them attempt to dial up using another phone line and the modem worked successfully. As such my suspicions turned to the "dedicated" phone line as the origin of the problem. Now here is where it gets weird, they also have a Gateway 700 series that allegedly connects to the Internet, via dial up, on the phone line in question. The modem that the Gateway is using is a Telepath for Windows with X2. I had them trace the connection between the Gateway and the phone jack to ensure there was no other device in this equation and there is not.
I am truly at a loss as how best to further address this problem. I know very little about how phone lines work or are configured. Does anyone have any suggestions on this?

Thanks,

Kurgan

You say you receive no "dial tone errors". Does this mean that you can hear dial tone prior to the number being dialled? Does the remote connection answer the call? Can you hear it ringing? Tell us exactly what happens.

It's possible the Conexant modem requires slightly more signal level to successfully make and hold a connection than the Telepath. Does this dedicated line terminate with a master socket right by the computer, or does it go through extensions, patch panel etc? If the latter, check out all the connections through to the master socket - a poor connection or dirty socket pins will attenuate the signal and cause these sorts of problems. Can you try temporarily moving the PC so you can plug directly into the master socket? This would prove if it's the cabling in between. Failing all this, ask the Telco to increase signal level on this dedicated line.

Good luck!

ROGER - GØAOZ.

There a few things in addition to Roger's answers that you can request from your local phone company. The 1st and greatest is to have them loop check their "dedicated" line and their other line. The readings may be slightly different, and that will show the modem's susceptibility to what is being checked. What they will look for is line loss, ground, power influence (noise) and inductance. The Telepath X2 is a much more forgiving modem than the Conexant showing more tolerance for a dirtier line. Since the X2 is a slower speed modem, I'm dubious that the telephone company could boost the line level, unless you are so far from the Central Office that load coils are needed to correct attenuation, at which time, there could be a defective one in the line. Also they need to verify there aren't bridge taps installed. With the newer digital switching equipment, a defective linecard in the Central Office could be delivering weak line voltage. The test I described above can be used to begin isolating the problem. If all else fails, replace that modem with another comparable modem and see what happens.
Peace and Mercy
Seth

At the cost of modems these days, I'd just send them a new one. It will cost less than 1 hours worth of your time, and it is an easy check. Preferably, you can send one of the same model, so there is no driver to fool with, just a card swap.

I have had numerous WinModems fail after power outages, and the problem is always the same. I can hear dial tone when it goes off-hook, but the modem doesn't dial and claims to have received a "NO DIALTONE" error. Even when I set the X1 or X3 option in the dial string, like ATX1DT XXXX. This tells the modem to ignore call progress tones, like dial tone, and ring back, and busy. If you still get a no dial tone, it is definitely the modem.

Of course, I have had someone put the phone line in the PHONE jack, not the LINE jack. In most well built modems, you will hear the dial tone, but the modem will complain of NO DIALTONE. In cheaper modems, the two jacks are simply wired in parallel. Doesn't matter which jack you plug the line into, it will still work. When you pick up the phone attached to the line and the modem is on, you will hear carrier.

pansophic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back