Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it "bad" to have a Lookup table/query in a table? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattGreer

Technical User
Feb 19, 2004
US
In my database I have one main table called tblSongs that I use to categorize all sorts of information related to selecting, printing lyrics and chord charts, and tracking history of what got played, where, and when.

In the main table, there's a field called "Tempo" where I have a (I believe it's called) Validation table. It's pretty simple, you get to choose "Slow", "Medium", or "Fast". When I made this db 10 years ago, I guess I thought it made sense (or possible MS Access did this automatically?) to have a lookup query so when I open the table itself I don't see the ID number, but rather the text. I guess this helps when you use the wizard to create a form.

The question I have is, is this "bad" to have that? Does it muck up other stuff somehow?

Sorry for the really general question but as I'm updating and modifying the database I want to make sure I'm not painting myself into a corner, so to speak.

Thanks!!

Matt

I THOUGHT SO, lol.

Thanks buddy. :)

Thanks!!

Matt

He-he - good to see.

I don't know why, but I always instinctively ignored MS Access 'lookup' references; I think that I felt that they were a 'built-in' but 'hidden' feature, specific to MS Access.
I always created my own 'lookup' queries, based on simple SQL selects from table data.

Nice to see that I haven't missed out on a super-useful 'feature' (which it's sad to say - I have done many times in the past).

ATB,

Darrylle

What's really really useful is when you're using it to look directly at tables.

What makes it "hard" is when you're wanting to perform a query using a validation table, you have to use the ID rather than the text. That's better, actually, but just a smidge harder to edit when you go in to make changes and such.

Thanks!!

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back