Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible with 56K connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigMonty

Technical User
Oct 31, 2003
US
I have only 56K internect connection.

I was wondering whether it is possible to use my laptop to have wireless access to internet. Is this possible?

If possible could you guys let me know what are the hardwares I need and from where I can buy them.

I have 802.11b netgear wireless router and gigafast wireleass pcmcia adapter. I guess I could use them if i had hi-speed connection. Can I somehow use them for 56K connection too?

Probably these are all dumb question but what more a dummy in computer can do!

I would higly appreciate any response.

I know Apple's 11 mbps AIrport base station router contained a 56k modem, so you could be wireless around the house and 56k to the internet. you would need at least one mac (or borrow one) to do the setup but it works with PCs fine. there are lots on ebay here is an example:

I found one other model on ebay, not by Apple

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

D-Link makes a dial-up wireless router as well, and I'd venture to say that there are probably quite a few manufacturers. You can always use a computer to do the dial-up connection, turn on Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and connect that computer to your wireless AP.

The routers are nice because they usually come with a DHCP server enabled by default, so you don't have to know much, if anything, about networking. Just plug them in.

pansophic

Hi,

For full mobile access you will need something like the Sierra Wireless AIRCARD 750. Trouble is the connection is limited to something like 9.6kb/s

I'm waiting for Cellphones or cards like the above to get up to a decent connection speed. 30+ Kb/s would do it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back