Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to work with oracle sqlserver with adp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hedub

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
NO
I am trying to set up a project, but do not wish to use the microsoft sql feature. Instead I want to connect to an oracle db with odbc. Is that possible in access database prosject?

ADP's were made to work with sql-server or msde. If you want to connect to oracle use an mdb or use linked servers in sql-server. Christiaan Baes
Belgium
"What a wonderfull world" - Louis armstrong

ok, but how do I define a connection to oracle with mdb? I do need that to execute a query directly to an oracle table? I know how to import tables and data but I dont know how to update tables etc in oracle with an access interface. Thanks

you need to install the oracle client tools then setup a system dns (i suppose you know how to that?)
then in access go to link tables and link the tables to a odbc-source aka the one you defined in your system dns.

so in link tables choose odbc-sources instead of *.mdb
When you click ok it can take a few minutes before you get anything depends on the speed of conection and how many tables (queries you have in oracle)

Christiaan Baes
Belgium

Thanks, that worked! Ok, one more thing.. how do I call a procedure or another event that I have stored in oracle from access? For example I want to do all my querys in pl/sql but how do I call them to see the result in a form made in access? Thank you so much for your help. :)

im sorry but i cant help you anymore. I use sql-server and linked servers and copy my data from oracle to sql-server via dts. I dont update the oracle database.
Christiaan Baes
Belgium

Read up on pass-through query. You can make a pass-through query the row source of a Form.

Thank you! you have all been very helpful! I love this forum! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back