Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to setup a S2S VPN to be redundant to a P2P VPN ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beholder95

Technical User
Sep 4, 2003
US
I'm looking into redundancy for a VPN connection that connects my HQ office with a branch office.

My current setup is a PRO2040 in the HQ and i use routing roles to send all traffic for the Branch Office's subnet to a Cisco Router, which is connected to a Point to Point (P2P) T1.

I'm looking to upgrade this T1 to a Fiber Point to Point for more bandwidth but while doing this i'm looking to build in redundancy incase this link goes down.

In addition to the P2P fiber i'm thinking of having a commercial cable modem put in as well so all of this office's internet traffic will go over this rather then all coming through the P2P and using the HQ's ISP for internet.

Could i have it so a Site 2 Site VPN was also setup for the same subnet (almost as a forced loop) and then if the P2P went down for any reason all traffic would then go over the Site 2 Site?

We run 7 VOIP phones in this branch office (usually no more then 2 or 3 on conversations at the same time) so when the P2P goes down the phones go down as well as internet and exchange.

Obviously the VOIP may suffer a little until the P2P was reestablished but i'd like this to be done w/o inturruption if possible, say the P2P dropped out during a phone call i'd like the phone call to stay active whiel the traffic switched over the Site 2 Site VPN.

Am I crazy or could this work?
Has anyone done this?

Thanks, and sorry for the long post.
- Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back