Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to remotely turn on a pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barrios

Technical User
Sep 30, 2002
US
I would like to know if it is possible to remotely connect to a pc. The catch here is that the pc(remote) is not switched on. Is it possible for the me to remotely switch on the pc and log in, to fully control it?

Easy one....if it switched off, no you can't.

Burley

If you have wake on lan enabled or available on your nic, yuppers... not a problem.
"To use Wake on LAN technology you need a Wake on LAN network adapter, Wake on LAN enabled motherboard, and remote management software."

We don't use it because it sometimes plays games on you switch (port disabling) but that's easily fixed, now we are too lazy to go to 400 pc's to turn it on another 400 off site... eep! I sometimes use it on my main workstation if I am on vacation. (or I just leave the thing on all the time)

thanx to rubbaninja for the useful information...

i checked that my pc and network card do support wake on lan...however my pc is located in my school network and i want to acces my pc from outside this lan network...is tat possible...?? or isit onli for use in within the local area network...??

You would need to have remote access to the internal network or have an external ip on your pc and your firewall needs to allow the access, etc.

Basic networking is at play so if your network is not available to the outside world, no go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back