Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to page "all" extensions over Intercom function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ame540

Technical User
Sep 14, 2004
US
We're bringing up a new IP Office 500 at a new location. We've absorbed a new company and their old phone system had an "overhead paging" system that went through the ceiling. We don't have the infrastructure in the new office for this exact setup, but a good alternate solution would be to have the receptionist be able to talk via the Intercom function on the phones to all extensions at once.

Is this possible to do?

Can i make a soft key on the receptionist's phone that allows her to "intercom" to more than one extension?

Thanks guys!

-Aaron

yes a page group needs setting up and a short code needs putting on the button to allow access to the facility, you can have multiple groups with different members also

APSS (SME)
ACSS (SME)

Keep in mind that "intercom" describes a two-way conversation. Paging is one-way. Yes, you can have page announcements broadcast simultaneously via multiple telephone speakers - although there are limits (see docs for specifics). Also, unlike overhead, users that are already on the phone or in DND will not hear the page announcements.

Thanks for clearing up the difference between paging and intercom. I don't think we will need to have ALL extensions having the ability to respond back.

Completely understand that people on the phone won't get the page, that's just a limitation that they will need to be aware of.

Where do i go about setting up a "paging group

Also FYI maximum users is 64 in a group for IP500 V1 and V2.

It is actually 63 receivers:)

A simple mind delivers great solutions

Pretty cool. We're getting a new IP500 V2, but for now i'm poking around in our 406V2 and it looks like its supported too on 54XX series phones.

What is the best way to go about putting together a group of extensions to be paged at once?

ame540 here is a nice paging feature:

When paging multiple phones, the receiver can push the conference button on any of the phones in the page group.
This switches the 'page' to intercom mode for that particular phone and the pager (the other phones are automatically excluded).

Very popular in medical clinics where the doctors are busy as bee's and never in the place they should have been:)

Regards
Gunnar

Gunnar-

Indeed i saw that, how you can pick up and connect to the other person using the conference button. A very cool feature.

So, to add all these users into the "paging group" i have to add them all to a hunt group.... they don't have to be agents? I know we wouldn't have enough agent license for that. :)

My idea is that everyone that would need to be paged in this group all have 4XX series extensions (x401, x402, x403... etc). I could make a huntgroup with the number 400 that contains all the extensions in use and instruct the receptionist to use 400 when paging everyone? Am i on the right track?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back