Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to only have 1 user signed in at a time or only allow..

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamrau

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
US
RedHat 7.1

1) Can i have only one user signed in at a time? If so, how?
I dont want multiple users signed in.

2) Can I setup my system to only allow signin via console, not from anywhere else? If so, How?
I only want console access which means the only person that can log onto my system, is the person PHYSICALLY using it.

Thanks and sorry if my questions are a little out of the ordinary.

Much thanks in advance
Adam

You can control user login access with the /etc/login.access file. The file consists of entries listing users, whether they are allowed access, and from where they can access the system. A record in this file consists of three colon-delimited fields: a plus (+) or minus (-) indicating whether users are allowed access, user login names allowed access, and the remote system (host) or terminal (tty device) from which they are trying to login. Other access control files are used to control access for specific services i.e., /etc/hosts.deny, /etc/hosts.allow.

Hope this helps.
d3funct
zimmer.jon@cfwy.com
The software required `Windows 95 or better', so I installed Linux.

Hi,

On redhat you can use the pam_access module configuration file, i.e. :

/etc/security/access.conf

You would need to configure that file (see examples inside) and also add a line to /etc/pam.d/login so that the pam_access module is called :

account required /lib/security/pam_access.so

See also --> .

Hope this helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back