Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is it possible to make a world clock using asp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katie6

Programmer
Jun 12, 2007
GB
Hi there,

I need to make a world clock to put on a website. At the moment, I have a JavaScript clock where the user can select a time zone from a drop down menu and the digital clock changes accordingly.

The problem is daylight saving time. Different countries change their time on different dates, the date is different every year, and some countries don'd do daylight saving at all. This makes it a nightmare to update.

Does making a clock that uses the server time make updating easier? If so, can you recommend any tutorials that will explain how I can do this?

Finally, is it better to get the time from another site? I a will be putting this on an intranet, which blocks a lot of external content. I tried using the code on this page:

But got an error message. Not sure if this is because I'm on an intranet or what?!

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

Katie

It would be helpful to know the error message you received and the relevant code. Otherwise, any possible assistance would be useless.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error; they are the natural enemies of error and of error only.

Thomas Jefferson

Hi Chopstik,

Good point! Here is the message that appears in place of the clock:
Code:
The page cannot be displayed 
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please try the following:

Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want. 
If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Verify that the Internet access policy on your network allows you to view this this page. 
If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page. 
HTTP 502 Proxy Error - The ISA Server denies the specified Uniform Resource Locator (URL). (12202)
Internet Security and Acceleration Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:
The gateway could not retrieve the requested page.

ISA Server: remlxentpx00c
Via: 

Time: 13/11/2008 15:40:51 GMT

Thanks for any help.

A quick Google search comes up with the following:

or the Google results set

I'm not familiar with ISA Servers so can't offer much more advice than what I can find on the 'net. But it may be something as simple as missing an hotfix or a patch. Perhaps a firewall configuration issue... Good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reason and free inquiry are the only effectual agents against error; they are the natural enemies of error and of error only.

Thomas Jefferson

Many, many thanks Chopstik, I will have a look at those links.

Katie :)

Have you tried using javascript to create the clock based on the users time settings? This of course will assume that their own machine time is setup correctly.

Hi,

Yeah I have got a javascript one and I've also made a Flash clock, but both of those involve updating daylight savings time. That's a problem when not all countries' clocks change on the same date and when the DST date changes from year to year!

Not knowing much about asp, I wondered if server-side scripting could get round those issues?

Hi,

Yeah I have got a javascript one and I've also made a Flash clock, but both of those involve updating daylight savings time. That's a problem when not all countries' clocks change on the same date and when the DST date changes from year to year!

Not knowing much about asp, I wondered if server-side scripting could get round those issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back